Fencing in the cold and wet?

Old Mill Tree Care

I had a conversation with someone today who thought that installing a fence in the winter is a bad idea.

What do you guys think?

Sent with my iPhone from me, to you!

Other than possible unpleasant working conditions ( wet/mud) or frozen ground ( difficult to dig ) I cant see why it would be a bad idea in winter ?

Well, I would be out of business if I didn't fence in the winter. Do you mean stock fencing? When its really cold and you strain up the wires they tend to slacken a bit in the summer in the heat, shouldn't be too bad if using hi tensile wire.

The worse bit about fencing in the winter is the logistics of getting machinery and materials across boggy/wet ground without either getting stuck of churning up the fields.

All good fun!

I have fencing jobs all year round and haven't had any complaints....

If a fence is put up well....

Crack on I see no problem with it if it's done right :)

(Any fence that's put up incorrectly will fall/become loose in a short period of time regardless of season)

As the other chaps said it's always the mess in the winter that's the bigger problem :)

Had people say this to me before, load of old cobblers in my opinion.

I think the theory was that the soil would contract in the summer and loosen the posts! Probably right if you only put the posts in 2 inches!

And it works both ways on that school of thought, I often think if you can strain up a hi tensile good and tight in the winter and the ground is soft, then you won't have a problem in the summer. Summer hard ground can give the false illusion that your posts are in solid only to find in turns into a quagmire in the winter.

Although 8inch dia posts machine hammered 1 meter into the ground rarely move in my experiance:biggrin: