Compulsory drugs testing

arbogrunt

You shouldn't be under the influence of anything at work, but what you do in your spare time is up to you. I don't condone breaking the law (none of you seem to give a stuff about that!) but I don't think drugs testing in the work place is needed.

Most people can tell when someones off their head, I think if I caught one of the lads under the influence while working I'd send him home and decide whether or not he would be coming back at all.

Its not big and its not clever. It can permanently change who you are - thats enough isn't it?

Think this thread has been mostly talking along the lines of smoking dope, so "permanently change who you are", is a extreme view.

I am sure there are more serious drinkers than serious smokers in this industry. And in my experience heavy drinkers that do any type of manual labour are as much if not more of a danger. Specially the next day when the horrors of drink kick in, you don't have the same problem when it comes the cannabis.

I have worked for a few different company's that had a drug testing policy but it was hardly ever implemented due the the nature of the work we where doing. Meaning the vast majority of the workforce where getting drunk at night and drugs where never talked about.

What about company's that do alcohol breath testing at random, you don't hear them using it much due to the fact if the did at some of the places i worked they would be looking for staff every month.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its illegal to smoke weed, you are out in the public, with customers, contractors etc. every one likes to chill out and has their vices but on the job, na why? is your life so crap you have cant wait till 6pm to blur reality? I dont drink at work, i dont smoke at work, what i do out of work is irrelevant as long as i turn up the next day and i'm in a fit for fight condition.

I don't condone breaking the law (none of you seem to give a stuff about that!)

The law is an ass when it comes to weed.

Alcohol is far more damaging and the way I see it is the country could be missing out on billions of revenue because they wont legalise personal use.

What they have lost on tabacco, they could gain on taxing weed.

I dont use BTW

If I smoke a spliff on the 1st of the month and I'm tested on the 30th, the likely result will be a positive for Cannabis.

The technology is nowhere near accurate enough to be used effectively. A lot of good climbers, that think wisely about their drug usage and work, would be sacked on the spot. Drug testing has been pushed worldwide as an industry driven by profit, not workplace safety.

The law is an ass when it comes to weed.

Alcohol is far more damaging and the way I see it is the country could be missing out on billions of revenue because they wont legalise personal use.

What they have lost on tabacco, they could gain on taxing weed.

I dont use BTW

I agree entierley:thumbup1:

I know smokers that are very intelligent and very successful business men. They only smoke occassional and never when working.

Anyone who smokes at work is simply putting his work colleagues at risk and himself.

What you do in your own time is no concern of anyone elses, I personally think alcohol is 10 times worse a drug than weed

Smoking and driving is as bad as drink driving

I think this song sums it up pretty well

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwDRBm-qbQI]‪The Streets - Irony of it All‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

I've smoked it and I've also worked at several places that have random drug and alcohol testing. I've now given up the drink and the drugs for various reasons. Personally I don't want to work with people that are stoned, drunk, hungover or whatever. I've worked around power lines with people that have been off their tree and never again. I don't give two hoots what people do in their own time but there's a difference between having a relaxing smoke and getting absolutely hammered night after night. If you were drinking hard out every night people would assume you were an alchoholic so if you were getting totally trolleyed every night would you have a drug problem? As for the testing showing up on the 30th if you had a smoke on the 1st; that's absolute crap. I know a few guys who have passed the test after smoking for a week but keeping it clean on the weekend. If you managed to fail a test after this amount of time clean you a serious addiction.

I heard a fact somewhere once that Holland and in particular amsterdam used to have a huge herion addiction and because of that theft and violence problems but when they legalised pot they saw a huge reduction as most saw the point of why worry about being caught with illegal stuff when I can get high and be legal.

Just for the record I have smoked it once and didnt like it.

• 10 months later...

i dont do anything at work as i would get far to into the zone, ethier class a/b/or c - such as trimming the hedge just a little more for the tiny little bits nobodys will look at , or cutting a lawn twice just to make it look pretty. or a very large assent for the sticking out twig only i can see.

ive spent many years 'in the zone' and agree with alot of comments on here

i know when i roll upto to propertys in ethier of my vehicles with the signwritting and sporting the dreadys i can see people 'assuming' what kind of person i am but soon relese not to judge a book by the cover.

i get extra biscuits with the cuppas sometimes thou

I don't partake of any illegal substances whatsoever, and apart from a few teenage experiments I never have (this is a personal choice - I'm not being moralistic in any way).

I was once offered a job where compulsory drug testing was in place. When I questioned this I was made to feel that maybe I had something to hide in not feeling comfortable with it.

I felt that there was a breakdown of trust, and I refused the job. Again, it was a personal choice - there's good arguments both for and against compulsory testing, but I don't like it.