unusual timbers needed please

se7enthdevil

Crimble Greetings everyone.

Steve, sadly I had to scrap the 40' Tulip in my own garden yesterday. Any good to you? I'll take pics at some stage as there is some spalting near the base of the stem but I'm not sure how far decay/reaction has developed.

I've got robinia, 14+" holly, a lump of mulberry, catalpa. Just say if they appeal.

Jon

these are sounding interesting guys and i'm definitely going to want some of these. just to point out what i would like, rather than you cutting me samples i'll cut them my self from a log or small branch that i'd like to get from any of you as i would really like to get a sample and turn a small object from the rest of the block/log i purchase.

if anyone wants to call about the timbers they have they can get me on 01628666191.

Hi Steve,

I've used this forum anonymously for a couple of years but this topic has finally encouraged me to register, so this is my first post!

Although I work with wood, I am a serious wood collector and have used the Wood Database site for some years and hugely informative it is too. The end-grain microphotographs are absolutely indispensable for proper wood identification.

Anyway, the purpose of this post is just to flag up a few of the temperate timbers I have going spare that may be of use to you. Normally I like to use the scientific names to save confusion but I suspect you'll know which these are anyway;

Rowan (with coloured 'flower' heartwood) Camellia

Dawn redwood (Metasequoia) Cider gum

Cherry laurel Bay tree

Robinia Maritime pine

Caucasian wingnut Cork oak

Magnolia (several species) Elder

Paulownia Balkan hop-hornbeam

Almond Barberry

Plus many, many more tropical species.

Any of these of use to you?

Regards

Dave