tractor speed limits, a consultation

treebloke

Feast your eyes on this. Especially the bit half way down Re haulage. Tractors become hgv`s outside of the exemptions and need to comply as much as an hgv which is 99% impossible, the same would apply to your driving license.

Dissecting red diesel rules - 12/08/2005 - Farmers Weekly

Bob

Thanks for that, it appares to be a grey ish area, I've driven past police and have police behind me and they've never battered an eye lid. But I'll inform and have a bit crack on with boss of the company who owns the tractor, he's a decent guy and I suspect he already knows this

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we all need to be careful before we go changing this law and that law because at the end of the few on here are farmers and even fewer realise how little profit there is in the farming industry. Calling for tractors however big to need hgv license or o license etc is just making the job not worth going in my opinion. If speeds such an issue just put speed limiters on like wagons! As for Using wagons in fields thats ok in some situations but not all.

I used to drive a forwarder trailer on the Wickham road between Leigh park and other side of Winchester. what I found was that often the queues would build up behind you because people were too timid to overtake on the long wide straight sections then as people have said, very few pullins to let people past.

I think we all need to be careful before we go changing this law and that law because at the end of the few on here are farmers and even fewer realise how little profit there is in the farming industry. Calling for tractors however big to need hgv license or o license etc is just making the job not worth going in my opinion. If speeds such an issue just put speed limiters on like wagons! As for Using wagons in fields thats ok in some situations but not all.

I dont think we have the power to change any laws not this weekend any way :001_smile: Safety has to come first over profit where there is a will their is a way. I understand margins are tight I was talking to a farmer this week who said things are so bad that he cant afford £95,000 for a RR autobiography and he is thinking of keeping his 12 plate for another year. £250,000 for a combine £100,000 for a tractor some profit their somewhere.

Its probably going to be the illegal use of tractors and mogs that spoil it for the genuine farmers. The implications of being in a serious road traffic accident when all is not kosher does not bare thinking about. Eg: Mog going on an arb job with a machine on a trailer hits a car and someone is dead. Aside of the death in come the cavalry, police,vosa accident investigation unit and more, The driver is driving on a car license under the agri banner , so we have here an accident involving a vehicle that has no mot plate,o license, its overweight, on red diesel and a driver with the wrong drivers license . Do you think his insurance company will take pity on him and honour a claim that will probably run into hundreds of thousands if not millions of pounds? I think not so we can add the insurance to the list which will probably see the driver put behind bars. I will see if I can find the charge sheet for the driver that was caught with our mog and trailer with kit on as it reads two pages long.

Bob

I dont think we have the power to change any laws not this weekend any way :001_smile: Safety has to come first over profit where there is a will their is a way. I understand margins are tight I was talking to a farmer this week who said things are so bad that he cant afford £95,000 for a RR autobiography and he is thinking of keeping his 12 plate for another year. £250,000 for a combine £100,000 for a tractor some profit their somewhere.

Poor bloke- sounds like he's having a tough year:lol:

In all seriousness I do believe in some sort of MOT for tractors, why shouldn't they, every other motor vehicle on the road does. I recently got rid of my old tractor for the simple reason that I didn't deem it road safe and would be quite happy to put my new one through regular MOTs if it meant that was the only way to keep it on the road. That said MOTs are far from the be all and end all, a dangerous driver is a dangerous driver no matter how many tests he's passed.

I think farmers like this are the exception rather than the norm with huge estates. What made my mouth drop open was he was gutted as the latest range rover is 1/2 tonne lighter so would be cheaper to run :lol: cheaper to run to me = £2000 and lasts 5 years on one oil change and a set of tyres. :thumbup:

Poor bloke- sounds like he's having a tough year:lol:

In all seriousness I do believe in some sort of MOT for tractors, why shouldn't they, every other motor vehicle on the road does. I recently got rid of my old tractor for the simple reason that I didn't deem it road safe and would be quite happy to put my new one through regular MOTs if it meant that was the only way to keep it on the road. That said MOTs are far from the be all and end all, a dangerous driver is a dangerous driver no matter how many tests he's passed.

I would guess that part of the reason tractors are exempt from MOTs etc. is because statistically there isn't enough accidents relating to poor vehicle condition to warrant it. I would say that there just ins't enough accidents involving tractors the bother with any additional legislation, hence why nothings been done so far...

But then there's lies, damn lies and then there's statistics :)

I would guess that part of the reason tractors are exempt from MOTs etc. is because statistically there isn't enough accidents relating to poor vehicle condition to warrant it. I would say that there just ins't enough accidents involving tractors the bother with any additional legislation, hence why nothings been done so far...

But then there's lies, damn lies and then there's statistics :)

I would imagine that is right. Insurance companies dont take risks lying down if the problems were that great premiums would be sky high. Does make you wonder when you look on the nfu auction site though. If you look at the accident stats for very young and old drivers not to mention drunk drivers, boy racers in tractors come along way down the list.

I would imagine that is right. Insurance companies dont take risks lying down if the problems were that great premiums would be sky high. Does make you wonder when you look on the nfu auction site though. If you look at the accident stats for very young and old drivers not to mention drunk drivers, boy racers in tractors come along way down the list.

You have to quantify that as a statistic, while nearly every spotty youth aspires to a car, there are vastly fewer tractors on the road.

Each time I have insured a tractor they specifically ask if its going to be used in road haulage, particularly timber.