tractor speed limits, a consultation

treebloke

We are still waiting for our bus shelter to be straightened out after some dramatic modifications with a large JD and twelve tons of spuds at the hands of an (allegedly) 16 yr old driver. Luckily for him no one was injured and the visiting plod didn't know the rules on a twin axle trailer.

You will also note the remorse shown for in the photo.

As a farmer, I could not believe the NFU pushing the need for speed in the 'consultation'. If bulk loads need to go faster then buy a truck.

tractor-bus-shelter-booths.jpg.4513ad2a10aa6406fa376ec192c828d4.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I occasionally use a john deer and pull a trailer with a multcher on it, 22-24mph its painfully slow. I also think it's mental that I can do this, I've got my driving licence and trailer licence that's it! This tractor is solely used to tow the multcher to jobs.

Quick question with the licence I have could I pull a trailer with the mulcher on with a uni mog?

I knew a lad from Wisbech who decapitated the driver of an old style mini in a fast track messed him badly.

We get atleast two a year around here and that's just from 3 big farms .. I had a contractor go down the side of my van in some stupidly outsized bit of kit yesterday afternoon !!

These "low value goods" can make or break people. If it's a crap summer and you've only got a small weather window to get your harvest in ,which you've worked all year to achieve, you need to get it done as fast as possible. And when I say fast, I'm talking 50k tractors which is all of 31mph! Then a car comes flying round the corner doing 50mph and you get the blame for driving irresponsibly...?? I would bet every person who posted on here has done much faster that 31mph on back lanes, and I doubt many tractor drivers actually go flat out on back lanes, big machines just look faster because they're big.

Undoubtedly there is some idiots let loose in heavy machinery, but you get that everywhere. But no one has actually mentioned any accidents? I can't think of any in my area, there's the occasional bale that slips of the load or blow out on the trailer but that's it. Accidents in the field or in the yards is a different story! I could list them off all day :)

My ex got side shunted by a tractor who pulled out of a field, had to be cut out of the car

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I occasionally use a john deer and pull a trailer with a multcher on it, 22-24mph its painfully slow. I also think it's mental that I can do this, I've got my driving licence and trailer licence that's it!

If you're that scared of it, maybe ask your boss to find you another job? :001_tt2:

I drove 50-300HP tractors from age 17 to 19. Anyone who has driven a tractor will tell you of the horror of seeing the car coming towards you turn it's lights onto full beam. It's 30 yards away from you, and suddenly a car flies past your offside door and in front of you, missing the oncoming car by an inch.

It's crazy. Simply crazy. I can almost guarantee the above scenario if I take my old tractor out along the nearest stretch of straight A road. The vast, vast majority of the time, car drivers are at fault.

Most idots in cars couldn't handle a 500KG Halfords trailer, let alone a dolly trailer. Yes, a few young lads in tractors have been stupid. These are the same young lads who will be stupid in their Vaxhaull Corsa. If idiots make up 5% of the young tractor drivers, then I bet idiots make up 30% of the young men with cars.

By and large young farmers are more responsible and mature members of society.

That said, the use of red diesel and cheap young drivers to haul the harvest, despite farmers always wingeing about an un-level playing field re Europe, is a perk denied to some EU member states.

Technically speaking, if the crop is hauled by anyone other than the grower, back to his home base, then normal haulier rules should apply. Massive can of worms.

I have seen plenty, and most where my old boss. Plenty of times I had to go and "rescue" the tractor from a car.

Once was the tractor on the car bonnet. So the car must have stopped but the tractor didn't.

Have seen cars in hedgerows with tractor jamming them in. Have pulled tractors out of ditches after going to fast round a corner, that was a younger driver.

Have also pulled a tractor upright back onto its wheels after the grain trailer pushed it round a corner and it jackknifed,...

Yeah plenty of accidents, but on a percentage I would have to say its, 40% older drivers and 60% younger.

Must be a mentality of "it's a big machine, they will move"

To be honest I do take the attitude that I'm driving a big machine people will move, I make people get out of the way because 99% of the time people just don't understand how difficult it can be to drive a big load on the road so you have to make yourself noticed, I could fit 50 beacons and people still wouldn't look. People don't understand and they don't care what we do, a tractor on the road is nothing but an inconvenience. A few days with an empty belly would soon change that attitude

I occasionally use a john deer and pull a trailer with a multcher on it, 22-24mph its painfully slow. I also think it's mental that I can do this, I've got my driving licence and trailer licence that's it! This tractor is solely used to tow the multcher to jobs.

Quick question with the licence I have could I pull a trailer with the mulcher on with a uni mog?

I can answer this one because we have been pulled on it. The answer is no, moving plant and equipment with a tractor or a mog requires them to be plated,on white diesel , used with the right license, O license and taxed. Our driver only got away with all of this because the case timed out due to letters going back and forth , because of this it was dismissed from court. Had it gone on there would have been a very heavy fine and points. Stopped using the mog from that day on because if clever plod get you there is no escape, most spotty young plod dont know the law but the traffic plod definitely do.

Bob

If you're that scared of it, maybe ask your boss to find you another job? :001_tt2:

I drove 50-300HP tractors from age 17 to 19. Anyone who has driven a tractor will tell you of the horror of seeing the car coming towards you turn it's lights onto full beam. It's 30 yards away from you, and suddenly a car flies past your offside door and in front of you, missing the oncoming car by an inch.

It's crazy. Simply crazy. I can almost guarantee the above scenario if I take my old tractor out along the nearest stretch of straight A road. The vast, vast majority of the time, car drivers are at fault.

Most idots in cars couldn't handle a 500KG Halfords trailer, let alone a dolly trailer. Yes, a few young lads in tractors have been stupid. These are the same young lads who will be stupid in their Vaxhaull Corsa. If idiots make up 5% of the young tractor drivers, then I bet idiots make up 30% of the young men with cars.

By and large young farmers are more responsible and mature members of society.

That said, the use of red diesel and cheap young drivers to haul the harvest, despite farmers always wingeing about an un-level playing field re Europe, is a perk denied to some EU member states.

Technically speaking, if the crop is hauled by anyone other than the grower, back to his home base, then normal haulier rules should apply. Massive can of worms.

I didn't say I was scared of it haha I said it was mental that it's legal for me to tow it. I actually enjoy it it a bit more relaxed than driving a van

I can answer this one because we have been pulled on it. The answer is no, moving plant and equipment with a tractor or a mog requires them to be plated,on white diesel , used with the right license, O license and taxed. Our driver only got away with all of this because the case timed out due to letters going back and forth , because of this it was dismissed from court. Had it gone on there would have been a very heavy fine and points. Stopped using the mog from that day on because if clever plod get you there is no escape, most spotty young plod dont know the law but the traffic plod definitely do.

Bob

I'm a subby so I kinda do as I'm told or risk losing work.

The tractor in question is ran on white derv, is plated up, insured and taxed

I'm a subby so I kinda do as I'm told or risk losing work.

The tractor in question is ran on white derv, is plated up, insured and taxed

Feast your eyes on this. Especially the bit half way down Re haulage. Tractors become hgv`s outside of the exemptions and need to comply as much as an hgv which is 99% impossible, the same would apply to your driving license.

Dissecting red diesel rules - 12/08/2005 - Farmers Weekly

Bob

Edited by aspenarb