Bringing a chainsaw back from the usa

The handyman

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:001_smile:Golf bag perhaps.

It will prove difficult to transport on a commercial flight since the twin towers.

How would you convince the check in staff, that you were not planning to cut a new exit door in the airliner.

I think you will be looking at couriers such as TNT or UPS but they are very expensive, and will not carry any thing that has even a wiff of petrol.

Take it to bits and ship as chainsaw parts, Parcels to Go might be worth a look.

H-A

:001_smile:Golf bag perhaps.

It will prove difficult to transport on a commercial flight since the twin towers.

How would you convince the check in staff, that you were not planning to cut a new exit door in the airliner.

I think you will be looking at couriers such as TNT or UPS but they are very expensive, and will not carry any thing that has even a wiff of petrol.

Take it to bits and ship as chainsaw parts, Parcels to Go might be worth a look.

H-A

911 simply means you won't be able to take it as cabin baggage. Checked baggage (as in checked-in, in the hold) is fine. Hell, if you've got the permits, you can put a gun in checked baggage even.

A friend of mine had to TNT an outboard from Bermuda to the UK as the american airline refused to load it on their aircraft, drained of all fuel and oil.

I have had machetes in my baggage that goes in the hold, no problem.

I feel internal combustion engines are a little more complicated to put on planes.

I would ask the questions before to get to the airport.

H-A

The problem with checking a chainsaw is it is a fuel container. Even when new on the shelf, they are assumed to have been tested by the manufacturer, and thus may contain some fuel. There are international and airline specific rules for the transport of fuel containers. It is best to contact the airline you intend to use.

I recently bought a Honda Petrol water pump back from the Gulf. The Honda showroom issued me with a certificate to say it was free from fuel and lubricants (they said this was a common form/Doc). To be honest I wasn't asked for it (at Gulf end or Heathrow) anyway. I then had it wrapped at the airport with the industrial clingfilm you can pay for. At the UK end.....Customs? You are having a laugh, never there!! Well worth taking the chance!! Top Tip- Vent the saw for as long as you can before you pack it! You dont want it smelling of petrol!!

I recently bought a Honda Petrol water pump back from the Gulf. The Honda showroom issued me with a certificate to say it was free from fuel and lubricants (they said this was a common form/Doc). To be honest I wasn't asked for it (at Gulf end or Heathrow) anyway. I then had it wrapped at the airport with the industrial clingfilm you can pay for. At the UK end.....Customs? You are having a laugh, never there!! Well worth taking the chance!! Top Tip- Vent the saw for as long as you can before you pack it! You dont want it smelling of petrol!!

Just because you don't see them.................