new saw stihl or husky

Arbchris_88

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi all I am in the market for a new small ish saw along the lines of a stihl ms 261, after reading all the raving reviews on here :biggrin: think I will give it a miss. saying that what is the husky equivalent?

would I be wrong in thinking a of getting something like a 550xp on a 16 or 18 inch bar ? or what's the views on the 545 or the 555?

Yes the husky 550 is the equivalent of the 261, but for near the same price you could get the 555, which is a down rated 560xp. It all depends on what you will be using more, longer bars are better on stihls as they generally have better torque, but a husky has a faster engine, and the 50-60cc range of huskys have more power. That said, I was never a fan of the 260 and the 261 is a POS IMO

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Yes the husky 550 is the equivalent of the 261, but for near the same price you could get the 555, which is a down rated 560xp. It all depends on what you will be using more, longer bars are better on stihls as they generally have better torque, but a husky has a faster engine, and the 50-60cc range of huskys have more power. That said, I was never a fan of the 260 and the 261 is a POS IMO

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

so yr saying the 261 is a public open space :laugh1:

If your saw needs to be nimble & swift, pick a shorter bar and a smaller cylinder volume. If the needs actually requires an 18" bar, I would like to set for a 60cc saw. However a 60cc saw with an 18" bar is becoming heavy and bulky, at least that's the price we had to pay with our Stihl MS 362 C-Q. The HVA 555/560XP weren't available at that time of purchase for us.

Ref:

Compare Husqvarna proffesional chainsaws

It said in that link that the oil pump on the 550xp is automatic but they are actually adjustable. Mine is anyway. Just thought I'd rectify that :)

hi all I am in the market for a new small ish saw along the lines of a stihl ms 261, after reading all the raving reviews on here :biggrin: think I will give it a miss. saying that what is the husky equivalent?

would I be wrong in thinking a of getting something like a 550xp on a 16 or 18 inch bar ? or what's the views on the 545 or the 555?

To help with a bit of your question, I use a 550XP on 15'' and 18'' bars. It's a good saw in the tree - not too heavy. It's well matched to the 15'' bar, and will cope with the longer one if needs require.

I moved from the Stihl 260 and have found an improvement, don't have enough practical experience of the 555 for my opinion to be of any value. :001_smile:

550 or 560. No brained IMO.

It is a total no-brainer - the Huskys are far ahead of the competition in the 50 and 60cc classes at the moment .

They just handle much better and are more fun to use, including the really snappy trigger response! :thumbup:

Edited by SawTroll