Gas Bottle Woodburner

abercarver

L. I. L. I. An environmental organisation that operates from where I live, used to run lots of courses from the property. One of them was how to make a burner from a gas bottle

It was advertised on line with a picture of a calor gas bottle mid butchery. One day they recieved a very strong email from calor saying that if the course wasn't discontinued immediately then legal action will ensue. All of there bottles belong to them you only lease them.

The course continued and the photos were changed. It was also made clear on the course description that no calor bottles would be used on the course. Honest guv.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's mine. Not the best pic though. I know it's not all that relevant as you're wanting to do a horizontal one, but thought I'd show it anyway as I'm so chuffed with it.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1386496345.778966.jpg.3acfe4a1f109c715e43358e87bb1625c.jpg

Made from a 47kg bottle, bought off eBay.

It does get hot if you feed it well and treat it right;

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1386496546.532890.jpg.ffae4a457f9a20c264361e2d5259e138.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1386496565.496715.jpg.92f2f71a89ca446b7034c136ef711e71.jpg

Here's mine. Not the best pic though. I know it's not all that relevant as you're wanting to do a horizontal one, but thought I'd show it anyway as I'm so chuffed with it.

[ATTACH]142462[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]142463[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]142464[/ATTACH]

haha, liking that flame out the chimney 18 stoner :thumbup:

[ATTACH]142462[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]142463[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]142464[/ATTACH]

Hello,

Thats some impressive flame out the chimney!

good effort, well done

N

A mate of mine made one like the one above when he was in the army, he made it out of asheet of steel that he rolled himself, we burnt his old flatpack furniture in it and it got so hot it all went red and there was a foot gap between the chimney and the bottom of the flames coming out the top!!

iv got one i made in my carving shed. i generally put a hole in them with my .234 then leave them for a few days. my latest one is horazontal i used a metal cylinder but not a gas one. so i didnt have to cut off all the extra bits. in one end i cut a square opening into the curved round end then i cut the bottom off of a gas cylinder i had which was the same diameter. i sat it onto the first cylinder so it covers the square opening and welder on a hinge to join the 2 together. i layed it on its side and welded on 4 bits of pipe that were the legs on a broken trampoline. when it was standing i cut a hole in the top at the back end and welded on a bit of 5 inch pipe about 6 inches long. my flue then sits over the 5 inch pipe.

now that it has a bed of ash in it it burns really well but it could do with a bit of fire rope around the door to help restrict the flow of air and some sort of baffle so i can slow doen the rate at which the smoke or more inportantly the heat goes up the chimny. ill take a pic and post it when i get chance.

the last thing i did was to weld on 2 rods along the top so i can ballance ny kettle on top of it. it isnt pretty but it heats my shed up nicely.