Gas Bottle Woodburner

abercarver

Hi all,

Over the next few weeks im working on a gas bottle woodburner.

I have a 12.5Kg bottle which i have filled with water (to displace the gases) and have taken off the top handle and valve. Im currently cleaning it up until the next section or cutting/grinding.

Im looking to have it horizontal (pot belly) style.

anyone had a go at these, has any advice on air circulation and production etc..

Many Thanks

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have made a couple.

There is a lot of talk about them exploding when you cut them, I have cut several, first one I filled with Co2, and ground it, after that one I just took the valve off and set about them with a plasma cutter. I made a jig for that job and I am still here to tell the tale.

You can use the offcuts to make the doors by welding a strip to them to overlap the opening.

If you want a controllable burner you need to add a grove to the inside edge and fit a heatproof rope as a seal. The bottom door will need an air inlet if you do seal it.

You can weld a flat floor beneath the grate to make cleaning but its a luxury rather than a necessity.

Don't let them get too hot or they collapse under their own weight, If you weld some strips vertically (pot belly style would be vertical) up the back it will stiffen the bottle and act as heat convectors

Many Thanks Treequip,

do you have any pics of the vertical strips you used to stiffen the back (I think i know what you mean)

So far filling the container with water i havent had a 'Kaboom' moment.

I was going to try and control mine by using some heatproof rope to try and seal the door. Iv also seen people use the valve as an eye hole on the door..would this help with air flow?

Also seen people use glass...am i guessing right its some kind of pyrex? dont think ill be going to that extent.

Was going to use the offcuts as legs (if poss) and to improve door seal. :-)

I built a horizontal one a couple of years ago i cut the base stand off then cut that in half and welded them to the bottom of the bottle to form the legs then cut the door out added a 25mm flange all around and hinged it, below the door i just drilled 3x15mm holes then 100mm O/D wagon exhaust for chimney, hole cut with jigsaw keeping disc to use as chimney damper with some threaded bar, hope this helps, Sean

Many Thanks Treequip,

do you have any pics of the vertical strips you used to stiffen the back (I think i know what you mean)

So far filling the container with water i havent had a 'Kaboom' moment.

I was going to try and control mine by using some heatproof rope to try and seal the door. Iv also seen people use the valve as an eye hole on the door..would this help with air flow?

Also seen people use glass...am i guessing right its some kind of pyrex? dont think ill be going to that extent.

Was going to use the offcuts as legs (if poss) and to improve door seal. :-)

I don't have any pictures but all you need is some 50mm flat bar cut to length and welded on vertically at 90degrees to the bottle.

I made a water jacket for one by welding steam tube in loops to the back in the same manner, it needed pumping. If it were a tank with tapping's top and bottom it would have circulated adiabatically.

PS don't forget the weld a "pie warming" shelf on the side

Edited by treequip

Thanks Sean...Hows it burning?

Sounds like i have a simliar idea for my feet :-)

It burned very well but i had to give it to a friend as neighbours moaned about smoke drifting into their gardens:blushing: chimney only about 3 m tall, it really did kick out some heat, wish i had taken pics as i enjoyed building it and was quite proud of the result.