advice on buying landrover need one soon

d-raittuk

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

he wanted 3k for it and got him down to £2300 with delivery from spalding lincolnshire to the wirral so cant argue i dont think. be my luck i got a dud lol but all seems good bit of rust on front bumper few knocks scrapes drivers seat bit warn gona need wheel bearings all round soon and probably springs and break pipes all round in the next 6 months. tow bar looks solid and the engine bay is a bit dirty needs a good clean. i did notice a wine from the gear box when i put in low and diff though

We use britcar the website is a bit iffy for finding parts without a part number, they are local to us and we get a discount off the site prices, download yourself the parts manual pdf here also get the microcat brochure, you can download it from various places on the net or use this online version here

As said above avoid the blue box pattern parts like the plague, for safety critical parts go for genuine.

I miight be interested in the camper if it's any good.

I think that pulling 3.5t on a 110 landi is illegal, why? If I remember rightly you can only pull up to 90% of vehicles weight IE if your landi weighs 2 tonnes, 90% is 1.8 tonnes is the max you should be towing, what the plated weight says is not the law of the land, only what its capable of. Be carful VOSA guys don’t have a sense of humour.

We use britcar the website is a bit iffy for finding parts without a part number, they are local to us and we get a discount off the site prices, download yourself the parts manual pdf here also get the microcat brochure, you can download it from various places on the net or use this online version here

As said above avoid the blue box pattern parts like the plague, for safety critical parts go for genuine.

I miight be interested in the camper if it's any good.

i seen you name and shame the "blue box parts" cant remember though so you will have to in box me the name.

as for the camper it was custom built years ago buy Keith Sinclair makes trailers and hours boxes i think hes now retired lovely guy. anyway its more like in my opinion a site tea hut stoke mobile work shop it is fitted with storage 2 beds a sink cooker and a toilet but its dated. side boards would hold a vice i recon though.

I think that pulling 3.5t on a 110 landi is illegal, why? If I remember rightly you can only pull up to 90% of vehicles weight IE if your landi weighs 2 tonnes, 90% is 1.8 tonnes is the max you should be towing, what the plated weight says is not the law of the land, only what its capable of. Be carful VOSA guys don’t have a sense of humour.

haha now you tell me well its going to be pulling a 2.8 mini digger and lugging chip and logs i do have c+e though

he wanted 3k for it and got him down to £2300 with delivery from spalding lincolnshire to the wirral so cant argue i dont think. be my luck i got a dud lol but all seems good bit of rust on front bumper few knocks scrapes drivers seat bit warn gona need wheel bearings all round soon and probably springs and break pipes all round in the next 6 months. tow bar looks solid and the engine bay is a bit dirty needs a good clean. i did notice a wine from the gear box when i put in low and diff though

not a bad price for a 200tdi even if it does want work on it.

For bearings I would use oem which will be timken, springs if you are not lifting it are just as well to go with genuine as there is very little price difference, pipes you can get made up or make them up yourself cheaply enough if you buy the kit to do them.

It all changes with 4x4 vehicles. Below from a towing guide.

Bob

I want to transport heavy mechanical equipment across business sites

If you are looking to tow anything heavier than 2,000kg, the list of suitable cars starts to get smaller, and moving up to the 3,500kg, the list shrinks even more. Below is a list of the cars that can tow 3,500kg.

Land Rover Defender

Mitsubishi Shogun

Land Rover Discovery

Jeep Grand Cherokee

BMW X6

Isuzu Trooper

Kia Sorento

Toyota Land Cruiser

Range Rover

Mercedes-Benz GL

Mercedes-Benz M-Class

Volkswagen Touareg

When towing for business, if you add a trailer, taking the total weight over 3,500kg, then a tachograph, in most cases, should be fitted. Most vehicle manufacturers will offer a tachograph as a cost option.

It all changes with 4x4 vehicles. Below from a towing guide.

Bob

I want to transport heavy mechanical equipment across business sites

If you are looking to tow anything heavier than 2,000kg, the list of suitable cars starts to get smaller, and moving up to the 3,500kg, the list shrinks even more. Below is a list of the cars that can tow 3,500kg.

Land Rover Defender

Mitsubishi Shogun

Land Rover Discovery

Jeep Grand Cherokee

BMW X6

Isuzu Trooper

Kia Sorento

Toyota Land Cruiser

Range Rover

Mercedes-Benz GL

Mercedes-Benz M-Class

Volkswagen Touareg

When towing for business, if you add a trailer, taking the total weight over 3,500kg, then a tachograph, in most cases, should be fitted. Most vehicle manufacturers will offer a tachograph as a cost option.

i should be laffing then :)