• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things that killed ebay for us

1. Dishonest people

2. fees went through the roof

3. Postage virtually doubled over night

4. Dishonest buyers have too much power, honest ones not enough.

If they get it right we will go back.

Really not defending ebay here but much of that applies to dealing with people in just about any arena nowadays, in fact, much of it just applies to modern "society" in general!

Is it fair to expect ebay to be so much better that what's around us or engender decency in people?

Edited by wrsni

Spares or Repairs or sold as seen dosnt stand up on an ebay dispute if the description dosnt include everything thats wrong with it. I had a guy bought a MS440 that the seller said needed a new top end. He brought it to me to repair and the saw was missing the clutch, complete brake mechanism, coil and the inlet manifold. He opened a dispute and got his money back and the seller told him to keep the saw as he couldnt be bothered with any more hassle.

I meant more for working stuff...as another warning to the buyer that is second hand.....

ie: listed as spares and repairs, but in truth in working order.. But you just are unwilling to give guarantee or warranty as it's a used bit of equipment.

What your stating is that someone has been fraudulent in there description.

I'm saying you can be very detailed with a listing to lessen the chances of back lash by the buyer.

eBay is still good if you keep abreast of the scammers and look through the gaps to find some real bargains, but yet expect whatever you buy to possibly have some quirks! And should be factored in to the initial cost if the item...

Two very different things.Haha!

Really not defending ebay here but much of that applies to dealing with people in just about any arena nowadays, in fact, much of it just applies to modern "society" in general!

Is it fair to expect ebay to be so much better that what's around us or engender decency in people?

In most other arenas you have more control ie face to face contact. Also Ebay was reliant on trust therefore it attracted all the crooks. If you are happy buying out of date stock in battered boxes for 20% more than you can buy it new from Amazon, ebay is ok. There are alot of good people on ebay but feels at times there are more idiots.

Things that killed ebay for us

1. Dishonest people

2. fees went through the roof

3. Postage virtually doubled over night

4. Dishonest buyers have too much power, honest ones not enough.

If they get it right we will go back.

On the nail.

I stopped selling anything other than junk via ebay after being burnt just once. Buyer confirmed they received the goods and that they were fine but put in a claim for non receipt. In the court of paypal their email which acknowledged safe receipt was not admissible and they uplheld the claim and refunded them the cost of the item from my account. Why? Because I had not used a tracked service. 1st Class with proof of postage and an email saying they had received it is not good enough.

It is a great way to do your shopping, buy everything on ebay and ANY item that arrives on a non tracked service put a claim in and you WILL get your money back at the expense of honest and genuine sellers. It is all there in the small print but what a trick. Morally bankrupt.

On the nail.

I stopped selling anything other than junk via ebay after being burnt just once. Buyer confirmed they received the goods and that they were fine but put in a claim for non receipt. In the court of paypal their email which acknowledged safe receipt was not admissible and they uplheld the claim and refunded them the cost of the item from my account. Why? Because I had not used a tracked service. 1st Class with proof of postage and an email saying they had received it is not good enough.

It is a great way to do your shopping, buy everything on ebay and ANY item that arrives on a non tracked service put a claim in and you WILL get your money back at the expense of honest and genuine sellers. It is all there in the small print but what a trick. Morally bankrupt.

EXACTLY. As per my post a page or so back. Precisely my experience.

Good post; glad I'm not the only one.

On the nail.

Why didn't you just throw the Small Claims Court at them?

I've had a few issues myself: all down to the reality that there are some dishonest people out there. eBay haven't been perfect every time, but they've not been desperate either.

Caveat emptor...

Ebay are not perfect - but is there ever going to be a perfect solution when it comes to someone selling something and someone buying it?

Expensive? - yes it is - but then so is having an online shop. I would say their fees are equal to the overheads/costs with your own online shop. 60% of customers using my online shop use paypal now.

Dishonest people? - yep - but again you get dishonest people where ever you sell. If you don't have the option of face to face contact then ebay is the best option.

Worst I have had - someone buys a mill and then 10 hours before a full year goes buy does a 'chargeback' on their credit card. Ebay automatically take the money back. Courier does not keep proof of postage after a year hence no proof of delivery.

That stopped me using ebay for a while - but then I realised this could happen outside of ebay as well....

Protecting the buyer and not the seller? - same as for every other shop the buyer has the power and not the seller.

They have a dispute process which can have the seller tearing their hair out.... but all things aside it is still the best online accessible selling platform there is IMO....

... and yes part of me hates myself saying that... :sneaky2:

:001_smile: