Logs, what does the future hold?

Hodge

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Trouble is as I've said before theres to many people chasing the same spec wood ie processor size which has helped push up the price, plus there is the firewood "snobbery" where everyone wants ash,oak,beech, syc etc but not faster growing coppicable woods such as willow, alder and hybrid polar/eucalyptus which can be cut on say approx ten year cycles because joe public has been told these are poor woods and so there is a general reluctance towards buying them.

Around here there have been a lot of new stoves put in and these are for wealthier people who are buying top notch stoves. I can't see them leaving these stoves to sit idle because wood has gone up in price. This means logs sales will hold up driving up the price of cord. This may help the non profitable woodland around these parts become viable again. This is only my guess but if right I see it as good thing for some of the local woods.

i see alot of these "non profitable" woods they will stay non profitable as most have no access or stacking areas alot are in control of wildlife trusts who wont put in the infastructure and the timber is usualky poor birch coppice alot if effort for very small diametre timber.

plus the woidland consultants paint it that the owner is sitting on a fortune.... cutters and contractors rates dont go up standing timber price to owner goes up and haulage goes up.....upshot of it the contractor has to work twice as hard to get the timber out to rideside for the same amount he got on easier sites

just my opinion how we are finding it

joy

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

Tree surgery is saturated because colleges pump out tree surgeons and tell them it's a viable career- this may change, with other opportunities opening up all the time. If we have another housing bubble demand will increase as people spend money that they think they've made on maintaining the trees on their property.

On the other hand, the log trade is saturated because anyone with a chainsaw and axe can have a crack. I'd be lying if I said that wasn't me five years ago, and I bet it's the same for many of you who now moan about the Saturday merchants!

Entry barriers to the log trade are low, and to the labourer who earns £70 a day, another £70 for a load of logs cut from 'that tree the boss wanted clearing up' is a very attractive proposition. This won't change. Big boys will stop doing it when it becomes uneconomical as they run it for profit, not beer money. Small guys will profit from the increase in demand, and become big boys. They will then come on here and moan about the little guys undercutting them! :lol:

tree surgery is saturated because colleges pump out tree surgeons and tell them it's a viable career- this may change, with other opportunities opening up all the time. If we have another housing bubble demand will increase as people spend money that they think they've made on maintaining the trees on their property.

On the other hand, the log trade is saturated because anyone with a chainsaw and axe can have a crack. I'd be lying if i said that wasn't me five years ago, and i bet it's the same for many of you who now moan about the saturday merchants!

Entry barriers to the log trade are low, and to the labourer who earns £70 a day, another £70 for a load of logs cut from 'that tree the boss wanted clearing up' is a very attractive proposition. This won't change. Big boys will stop doing it when it becomes uneconomical as they run it for profit, not beer money. Small guys will profit from the increase in demand, and become big boys. They will then come on here and moan about the little guys undercutting them! :lol:

👍👍👍👍👍

Trouble is as I've said before theres to many people chasing the same spec wood ie processor size which has helped push up the price, plus there is the firewood "snobbery" where everyone wants ash,oak,beech, syc etc but not faster growing coppicable woods such as willow, alder and hybrid polar/eucalyptus which can be cut on say approx ten year cycles because joe public has been told these are poor woods and so there is a general reluctance towards buying them.

I burn more eucalyptus than anything . It is a superb fire wood . Goes rock hard when its dried out and gives very good heat . Needs a stove coz it will pop and bang a bit .

I did some research a while back , only say 3 , 4 months ago . I found out that the single biggest home improvement over the last 3 years was the installation of log burners . Brill :thumbup1: Although the log burners are sold to many people who have been told that they are cheaper to run than gas this is a joke . Its only true if you have a decent supply of wood to burn .

Tree surgery is saturated because colleges pump out tree surgeons and tell them it's a viable career- this may change, with other opportunities opening up all the time. If we have another housing bubble demand will increase as people spend money that they think they've made on maintaining the trees on their property.

On the other hand, the log trade is saturated because anyone with a chainsaw and axe can have a crack. I'd be lying if I said that wasn't me five years ago, and I bet it's the same for many of you who now moan about the Saturday merchants!

Big or small paid cord wood or free arb arisings if everyone is selling at £60 a cube round your way leave it alone.

I burn more eucalyptus than anything . It is a superb fire wood . Goes rock hard when its dried out and gives very good heat . Needs a stove coz it will pop and bang a bit .

Stubby I love burning dry euc its hot hot hot :thumbup:

Exactly my point I would burn more of it if I could get it, I'm burning mainly willow at the minute, its just the way people have been conditioned with regard to what is and isnt good firewood :thumbup1: