MEWP or Climbing?

Mr Oz

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

had a climber come down on thursday after a 50% dismantle .He decided not to continue as the tree was well rotten,then the boss appeared with the mewp and finished the job off....

nice to have a good climber and a mewp..

:confused1: Surely the dangerous bit had been done??:confused1:

:confused1: Surely the dangerous bit had been done??:confused1:

One might think so, but as you know a tree can have some limbs worse than others, or maybe would require rigging if climbing, where as in a mewp it can often open the option to step cut & then chuck with more control over the brash mat.

With mewps, in my fairly extensive experience of their use, an awkward job can at times be carried out with more control of the risks, and in a more efficient manner.

Don't know the specs of the job quoted on, but I have dealt with a few that common sense depicted that a climb would be a higher risk, &/or less productive, such as a limited timescale power shutdown on a dangerous & leggy tree.:001_smile:

One might think so, but as you know a tree can have some limbs worse than others, or maybe would require rigging if climbing, where as in a mewp it can often open the option to step cut & then chuck with more control over the brash mat.

With mewps, in my fairly extensive experience of their use, an awkward job can at times be carried out with more control of the risks, and in a more efficient manner.

Don't know the specs of the job quoted on, but I have dealt with a few that common sense depicted that a climb would be a higher risk, &/or less productive, such as a limited timescale power shutdown on a dangerous & leggy tree.:001_smile:

Can't say thats a problem I've ever encountered in my 20 years experience.

Can't say thats a problem I've ever encountered in my 20 years experience.

I guess you haven't done much utility cutting then. A very good climber is often quicker than a MEWP (and is certainly cheaper), but there are times when there is no anchor point, not enough space (eg between a limb and the conductors below), or a tree is in such a bad state that climbing it for the sake of climbing is plain stupid. When you have a knackered tree, a very finite timeframe to complete the job, and a multitude of site constraints the correct platform comes into its own.

I guess you haven't done much utility cutting then. A very good climber is often quicker than a MEWP (and is certainly cheaper), but there are times when there is no anchor point, not enough space (eg between a limb and the conductors below), or a tree is in such a bad state that climbing it for the sake of climbing is plain stupid. When you have a knackered tree, a very finite timeframe to complete the job, and a multitude of site constraints the correct platform comes into its own.

Utility work was all I did when I first started.