MEWP or Climbing?

Mr Oz

See now there is the big balls attitude that has no place in this discussion.

Its not about faster, its about the powers that be requiring us to at least consider an alternative method that may be more appropriate, and when they say more appropriate they mean safer.

A lot of climbers in tree work do it because they like the climbing, they like to tell people they are a climber. As we have seen in this thread they consider anything else a dilution of their craft. Lets perspective that, it is a craft, all of it. Climbing and mewp tickets alike, little more than a driving licence for a chainsaw.

There are some jobs where rope access is the best solution and there are some where a mewp is the best solution, the difference is the mewp man will know the difference and the macho climber will want to climb it because if he doesn't climb it he becomes ORDINARY, and that would never do.

He cant see that the objective is to accomplish the work rather than accomplish it by climbing

Utter rubbish, I think your projecting this macho crap:001_rolleyes:

For me work is mostly about money, time is money, hire costs or another machine to pay for, all these costs would come out of my pocket. Climbing continually sharpens your skills and ups your production rate, which maximises profit. I'd sooner have the money thanks :biggrin: you can keep the macho crap.

Sure I am a climber, its what I do, but I don't tell most people and even if I did few would be impressed or even know what it entailed.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its kind of like using the stairs to go up 30 floors when there,s a lift :laugh1:

Well if you needed a bit of cardio, the stairs would be an option, BUT I can ride a lift all day, the stairs maybe till noon:laugh1:

I've often run up the stairs and beaten the lift :biggrin:

I guess it depends if you want to be the fat guy in the lift or the fit guy on the stairs :sneaky2::lol:

I guess it depends if you want to be the fat guy in the lift or the fit guy on the stairs :sneaky2::lol:

You missed the point, you might beat the lift on a short stint once or twice but you cant do that all day

You can be the bloke on the stairs with knackered knees or the bloke in the lift expending energy wisely

Utter rubbish, I think your projecting this macho crap:001_rolleyes:

For me work is mostly about money, time is money, hire costs or another machine to pay for, all these costs would come out of my pocket. Climbing continually sharpens your skills and ups your production rate, which maximises profit. I'd sooner have the money thanks :biggrin: you can keep the macho crap.

Sure I am a climber, its what I do, but I don't tell most people and even if I did few would be impressed or even know what it entailed.

Nooooooooooo,

Your set up isn't the average though is it?, a short while back you even made a thread about how novel it was to be doing it like others.

You don't get to compare, you already have a big machine for lifting yourself into the tree and lifting brash and timber out.

Lifting your self in with a hiab isn't much different than doing it with a mewp:laugh1:

As for macho climbers goes, I have met and worked with dozens

I did a job for Yorkshire water 5 yrs ago,dismantling 7 Lombardy pops in a tight zone, they refused me to climb as it was too dangerous! !! They provided a big mewp and i must admit in the 3 days work doing the job I never broke sweat once,made the job v easy,wouldn't want to be doing ever day though as I do like to climb (they were a nightmare as it took me 2 weeks to convince them I couldn't do it without chainsaws! )

I agree with Dean, great tool for the right job.

In this particular discussion you remind me of the knight in Monty Python and the holy grail who gets his arms and legs cut off and still wants to fight.:001_smile:

"Tis only a scratch!"

image.jpg.306d0b3542824ae0c9d9beeabb8791ef.jpg

Most sensible post so far Gray git

Sorry, won't happen again ;-)

Often use a combination of mewp and climb on the same tree, climb rig and swing the top off then use the landy mewp for the main stem when bigger saws get involved.

If we went by by the money argument why get a 660 when a 441 could cut the same just slower, why use bull rope when poly prop is cheaper, why rig a tree at all when it could be cut smaller and hand thrown to save having to cut it up on the ground. Petty argument I know but still how I look at it.

I agree a climber will beat a mew any day on a crown thin or deadwood where access into the crown is restricted but with the right machine and access I'd like to see any climber beat me on a crown 15% reduction or retrenchment work.

We could extend the argument to why use cranes when we could just rig stuff down and handball stuff into a trailer instead of having bits just drift away and land right next to the chipper or onto the truck.

Any1 who runs bigger gear like mogs, hiabs 10"chippers forwarders etc should understand investment or initial hire cost of the right bit of equipment can improve efficiency more than anough to cover the cost and actually make more money but it has to be used correctly and by people who know how to get the best out of it.

Bring on the race!!!!!!!!!

A good climber would wipe the floor with even the best MEWP operator, IME. Many MEWP operators are faster in the cage than the tree, but thats because are not very quick in the tree.

With anchor failure thats down to poor choices, which YOU as a climber chose. IMO when climbing your in far more control.

I hate MEWP's and don't use them, but thats just me :001_smile:

You haven't seen a good one!! Obviously.