Spiderjack

Thom

Yeah like I said love my hc, just wondering if there was much difference really.

Sure it's different, it's has many good qualities that may suit you. It's my personal opinion that both devices allow you to climb in the same way.

It's a personal thing and not for me to say what's best for you.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't comment on the sj as I have only used one a few times. I can say that I like my lj though. I don't use it on every climb, I tend to choose it for multi spar trees where I will be up and down lots. I find it's easy tending good for that. I gather the sj is better at self tending. Go for it imo and give it a chance. It took a while for me to get used to it but I love it now. Right tool for the right job and all that.

I climbed on a hitchclimber VT set up for years, changed to a sj and ropeguide and hated it....for the first week. I persevered and now I find it so useful it's unreal. Only problem is I get through cams quite quick so now and then I go back to hc, which, for me is a big step back. The self tending on a sj is so handy when out on the ends of branches and the control you can get with the brake makes it better than a lj imo. I say go for it, stick with it and don't look back.

Still getting used to mine, i love it for the 'no sit-back' when inching up the stem of something really busy like a Holly, every bit of progress made counts as opposed to sitting back with the VT while trying to re-set it.

Also good for mid air ascents with hand ascender and loop for feet, bit like 1/2 speed SRT.

Also getting used to the trouser darkening moments when the lever gets knocked by something:scared:

As everyone else has said, it's a personal preference thing so have a go with one first.

Regards,

Steve.

I've had mine about 6 weeks, i don't think I'll ever be able to get back to using my hc! I still use it like a hc in terms of long ascents, as in i pull a load of slack then ffeed it thru the jack, trying to get it to self tend is just too slow for me with little rope weight under it, where it really becomes useful is out hanging off branches where you can rely on tending one handed, and coming in off branches and moving around the crown the way it self tends is fantastic,,,the only issue i have with it is the clutch opening when close to the stem or a branch, but it was simply something i was paranoid about for a few weeks now i seem to be automatically positioning myself to avoid any problems arising and with choggin down I'm switchin to my multisling as a prussic which sorts that out,

in short, it does take a bit of gettin used to but a truly brilliant bit of kit:)

Not sure if it's close enough for you to warrant a trip, but TreeKit in Bournemouth would be more than happy to let you have a play around on one. Give Mark or Max a call, they are always up for a chat and have demo rigs and trees you can have a play around on. I had a play on a spider jack the other day and I liked it when ascending as it eliminates all slack, but I found it a bit 'stop and go' when descending. It only needed a small touch and you were moving real fast. I suppose you would get the hang of it quick when climbing on it regularly though.

I tried a sj at a rec climb and loved it finally bought one used it for a few months and now have gone back to a hitch, having no pulley really slows life down when limb walking as you have to feed out a load of rope underneeth you to keep letting slack out. Personal opinion though. Like Mark said depends on natural ability and preference. You climb the tree the gizmo is just there to suit your style. Also I find situations were self tending is a pain in the arse