Marine A

Jesse

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesse the issue with this incident it that the 'heat of battle' had ended...this was a calculated act. We are not the Taliban/AQ, we live by a moral code. We are trained to be able to 'Switch the aggression on and switch it off' as the situation requires.

I am not going to sit here and judge what happened, BUT how stupid to- a. Have filmed it. b. Not deleted it. c. Written it all down in your diary.

I fully agree with Gen. Thompson R.M. he should get a 5yr sentence and no more. Glad the other lads got acquitted!

Well done Commando. That is exactly what I was coming on to write, having just learnt more details on the subject.

Was pricing up with a customer this morning and afterwards we got on about remembrance sunday and he went on to tell me how his nephew was killed last year.

He was with a group back in the shelter after training afgan locals,he'd just taken his vest off when the afgan local shot him point blank and some others in his group.

He was an nco in his 40s but had risen to be a warrant officer.

Somehow my pricing his tree up didnt seem that important to me anymore.

I was on that tour (fighting not remfing in Bastion) my last of many tours as an infantryman. What appears to be clea, he killed an injured man on the battlefield while under no kinetic pressure. That is murder. He is a trained experience SNCO, he knew better. I know how he felt I have been there but enemy casualties are to be treated in the same way as our own - its hard but those are our rules, the very rules that seperate us from the TB. No other servicemen seem to be doing this sort of thing, i expect many would love to though...

I my view there is no cause for leniency, he was a professional soldier who made a serious mistake and got caught out. He has underminded his unit's, the RMs, and the British Armed Forces's reputation, in a conflict where reputation and influence are fundamental to avoiding outright failure.

Tough times, but he should get what's coming - life unfortunately for him and lesson on OpSec.

I was on that tour (fighting not remfing in Bastion) my last of many tours as an infantryman. What appears to be clea, he killed an injured man on the battlefield while under no kinetic pressure. That is murder. He is a trained experience SNCO, he knew better. I know how he felt I have been there but enemy casualties are to be treated in the same way as our own - its hard but those are our rules, the very rules that seperate us from the TB. No other servicemen seem to be doing this sort of thing, i expect many would love to though...

I my view there is no cause for leniency, he was a professional soldier who made a serious mistake and got caught out. He has underminded his unit's, the RMs, and the British Armed Forces's reputation, in a conflict where reputation and influence are fundamental to avoiding outright failure.

Tough times, but he should get what's coming - life unfortunately for him and lesson on OpSec.

I agree there ... that's what separates us from them and makes you boys professionals .

All thanks to all who have input to my thread, Fen01 yes I understand your view, but its still a crazy expectancy of the powers that be to believe that all men can act consistently within the rules of engagement of the Geneva Convention under such duress conditions, day in day out , night in night out, consecutive tours , that life style is NOT SUSTAINABLE and would send most people over the edge. Compound that with the knowledge that you mite know and even have seen first hand ,how the enemy have treated you and your comrades, ied's and the like , no, he did what I'm sure I would have done under those conditions, and there an't no way I would of given him mouth to mouth. Isn't a shot to the chest a more humane approach , And I expect when the true light of day emerges of this wholly ourfull war that more trues will emerge . Not just of this horrific incidence but of others.

Just out of interest do any of you members actually know a Royal Marine, and for those ex RM please forgive my question, its just to gauge the average perception of RM on Arbtalk, and don't worry I will tell you of my own characteristics..

If you get chance look up the name 'Bootneck' just to see how we are perceived. I'd be thinking 10 to 20 Arbtalk members ??? :thumbup1: