Suffering with Pins and Needles!

dougharding

Hi all

As above I have been doing my fare share of hedge cutting and chainsaw use lately like all you others guys, and I have recently started suffering with a lot of Pins and Needles in my right hand (index finger etc) in my fingertips.

Can't really seem to shake it off and was wondering if any of you guys on here have suffered with this problem and found any symptoms to shake it off.

Only way is to stop I've found. Its not painful but It keeps you awake. It could be swollen muscle/tissue trapping nerves. I do various self employed work so stop using hand held power tools.

If you try using the search bar. There are lots of threads on this. Start with "pins" "needles" "strain" "injuries"

As described by my chiropracter... if the ps & ns are in your thunb, index and middle fingers the problem is in your neck. If they're in your fourth and fifth fingers the problem's in the shoulder/armpit.

So it would seem likely a nerve's pinching in your neck. I get ps & ns in bed a lot and stretching the affected side of my neck sorts it.

Jon

If its just in your right hand its most likely beginnings of white finger caused by damaged blood vessels from the vibration. Cheap hedge trimmers are the worst for it I've found, use good modern machinery, keep your hands warm and take regular breaks to move your fingers (what my doctor said). as soon as I scrapped my Ryobi hedetrimmers and got some husky ones it went away for me.

Been to the doctor today about a similar thing she said it's probably carpal tunnel syndrome I've had it once before and shook it off but this time it's not going anywhere and she wants to cut the carpal tunnel in both wrists to release the nerves, not good considering I'm only 21!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Sounds like Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome (HAVS) also know as White Finger.

I used to use a road breaker on a daily basis for 17 years in my old job and I suffer from it. When I am chopping wood, hedge trimming and strimming etc I use heavy lined gloves and take regular breaks. I have recently upgraded my kit from a Ryobi ( I know!!) to a Stihl KM130r and it has made a huge difference.

HAVS is a really bad condition to have, very painful when the cold weather sets in and a compensations solicitors dream. It can cause the sufferer to have their fingers amputated. Hard to diagnose, but when it has been confirmed, it makes finding a job difficult as you can't even use a hammer!!!

Check out the HSE website Hand arm vibration at work

ive been really bad this week too, after spending sat,sun,mon,tue digging out soil by hand, woke up on wednesday unable to use my hands. just couldnt grip anything and hours of pins and needles. went to fill the truck up with diesel on wed and had to ask for help to hold the pump! as im only 22 i was a bit worried! but a few days on and almost back to normal now. i think the key is like you say take it easy and quite a few breaks to get the blood flowing. mabe next time i'll wount be so tight and hire a mini digger and tipping trailer instead of digging out 15tons of soil by hand and unloading it the other side too...