Show us your Arb Diggers please.

Stephen Blair

More than likely but surely with a advance machine after its cut there must be some system in place to prevent it been wiped out.

Ste

You are dealing with tons of tree with vertical downforce getting thrown around like a toothpick, practice makes perfect and a bar is peanuts in the world of harvesting, better that being the weak link.

Once an operator gets to a certain level it will not be a problem

Has anybody had much time with winches that go onto the quick hitch?looking for stuff for a 5t and 12t machine

Sent from my RG500 using Arbtalk mobile app

LGP Eddie on here made up a 3PL forestry winch and converted it from PTO to hydraulic drive. Looks the dog's danglies (set up on his machine with Oil Quick etc it is a pick up and put down jobby without even leaving the cab). Someone will know where it is on here I reckon.

Has anybody had much time with winches that go onto the quick hitch?looking for stuff for a 5t and 12t machine

Can you describe your thoughts on how you want the winch setup to ideally be?

For example a powerful winch with spade type anchor and controls from the winch frame.

Or full fast skidding winch with radio remote etc?

Approximate ideal cable length and acceptable line speed in metres per second really help to build a picture.

What carrier machines?

Eddie.

2 speed skidder ideally so can switch depending on weight, operate from cab blade would be a bonus but not necessary 50m one would be good will get the machine specs when I can

For the 5 tonner I'd be speaking to Red Winches for one of their very impressive spec Twin Motor Trydent winches with the extra long drum.

This winch has a really decent line speed in the high gear, with still a reasonable pull. Dropping down when required to full power.

This change in speed I'm certain can be achieved from the cab by running electrics down the dipper, and you'll get 100m of 12mm rope on this which is a handy amount especially if using a snatch block to double up.

This type of company would almost certainly be able to tweak it further for you, depending on requirements.

You will be able to fit a radio remote like a basic Lodar to this, as power 12v power is easily achieved to a convenient point on the dipper.

It's really just a case of having a mounting with suitable, blade/spades made up to fit your hitch, and have some way of latching the auxiliary circuit.

I know who I would have build the mount, but there are several companies out there who would turn out something tidy and it really depends where you're based.

My advice if you are using such a setup is to ensure the operator remains in the machine to ensure in the event of anything beginning to move the base machine, he can immediately cut off the operation.

If you run the 12v to the Lodar, you will be able to kill either the electrics or unlock the latched hydraulic circuit to stop all operations immediately from the cab irrespective of the external operative who would be using the radio remote.

Obviously the machine operator can do the whole job if he likes by having the Lodar remote in the cab with him.

If you know you're making a pull that's heading towards full power, then fit a hawser back from your winch mount to the undercarriage frame of the machine, and ensure you keep everything inline.

Many people underestimate the power of winches, and they will twist booms and dippers for fun if not used correctly.

You should be able to run one of the numerous plasma ropes on the Trydent and get a great light setup that will save some serious work.

RED Winches Trydent XL

The larger machine brings more options, let me know what machine, hitch and pipework you have on it.

Eddie

I can't get a video of the much faster Trydent Winch, but this gives a great idea of what such a compact setup is capable of even with their more basic slower Warrior winch.

The Defender is doing nothing much more than ticking over here, and a 5 tonne machine with the larger faster setup would be doing just the same.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETKGdGWGahs[/ame]

Eddie.

Hello Guys

Somewhere on the interweb I've seen a grab (that would handle posts or poles etc) that "sandwiches" between the hitch and another lower attachment - but now I can't find it and dammed if I can recall even the search terms I was using.

Any ideas??

Hello Guys

Somewhere on the interweb I've seen a grab (that would handle posts or poles etc) that "sandwiches" between the hitch and another lower attachment - but now I can't find it and dammed if I can recall even the search terms I was using.

Any ideas??

It will almost certainly be what's called an Integrated Grab or Gripper as they're sometime called, from any of the Major Tiltrotator Manufacturers, Steelwrist, Engcon or Rototilt are the main players.

Great if expensive bits of kit, I have one on my 8 tonner.

[ame]

[/ame]

Eddie.