Real world heating cost

Dean Lofthouse

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have, since this morning, made enquiries about a Ground Source heat pump installation under the RHI scheme.

This despite already being accepted for the RHI/biomass boiler.

But being unsure if i wish to continue to be a slave to a boiler, hence my continued reluctance to committ.

With the underfloor/GSHP providing background heat and the Morso providing "spot" heat.

Keeping the economic oil fired boiler for domestic hot water and backup.

Then flog me sticks for cash.

m

I'm thinking the same way...wood gasification boiler would be great but do I want to fill it up everyday ? And what happens if away for the weekend ? -at least ground source or air source is continuous !

If you have somewhere suitable to locate the system, (and you don't mind part of it being metal barrel ugly). You could construct a rocket mass heater. I have to admit that sitting on a hard bench no matter how warm it is, is less than comfy. But the thermal mass doesn't have to be a bench or similar. It could just as easily be the floor or water heater / greenhouse heater. Would in the right setting, greatly reduce the fuel needed to heat part of the building. Maybe fit more than one..?

Edited by TGB

Difflock - I researched ground source heat pumps at length and was put off by what I found.

Most, if not all, of the companies had no real grasp of what they were selling and couldn't answer even simple technical questions (once most had got my details I had constant hard sell from idiots). The technology has been successfully used in Scandinavia / N. Europe for decades, but as usual, we Brits can't help fiddling around with a proven technology to make it 'better' - for which read more complicated and likely to break.

I'm sure there's a WHICH? report that identifies that 80% were incorrectly installed. Suggested figures of a 1-4 return (i.e. 4kw of heat for every 1Kw of electricity put in) were actually only 1 - 1.3.

Finally, it was apparent they only work with very well insulated houses (i.e. current standard or better, with heat recovery / vent systems). They do not retro-fit into existing houses very well.

Tread carefully...

Difflock - I researched ground source heat pumps at length and was put off by what I found.

Most, if not all, of the companies had no real grasp of what they were selling and couldn't answer even simple technical questions (once most had got my details I had constant hard sell from idiots). The technology has been successfully used in Scandinavia / N. Europe for decades, but as usual, we Brits can't help fiddling around with a proven technology to make it 'better' - for which read more complicated and likely to break.

I'm sure there's a WHICH? report that identifies that 80% were incorrectly installed. Suggested figures of a 1-4 return (i.e. 4kw of heat for every 1Kw of electricity put in) were actually only 1 - 1.3.

Finally, it was apparent they only work with very well insulated houses (i.e. current standard or better, with heat recovery / vent systems). They do not retro-fit into existing houses very well.

Tread carefully...

We have one in a new-ish barn conversion and almost all you said is true but don't be put off by the tosh talked. Underneath it they are potentially very good if used right in as you say a well insulated property. I think the COP figure of 1.3 was for an ASHP but the GSHP where not far behind when incorrectly installed.

New Forest DEAN,

As a grumpy cynical 54 year old failed Civil Engineer who plumbed the house complete with the then absolute novelty of underfloor heating, and bunged in a bit of extra insulation and thermal Mass. (but wish i had installed more, wider cavities etc etc.)

Despite being told (at the time) i was an eejit, cos sure heating oil is dirt cheap (and it was in 1995/1996)

I will be well "on guard"

I also "know" how much energy it actually takes to heat our dwelling, rather than theory figs.

Plus only need "background" heat, the Morso taking care of our "spot" heat needs in the living room (& we generally have to leave the door open to the rather large Hall, stairs and landing space)

The living room heating design being rather ;belt, braces + galluses.

i.e

Full underfloor, 3 large double rads, plus the Morso.

The kitchen only got a big double rad, plus full underfloor + the cooker i suppose.

Edited by difflock

Its going to be difficult to compete with gas as it comes out the ground free just needs pushing up pipe. Most people buy logs for the direct heat and feel good factor. They also get a hunter gatherer fix even if they did not hunt or gather. If or when the country grinds to a halt the wood burner will still give you heat. I find the open fire or wood burner also changes the air in the room and I think this helps prevent the spread of colds and airborne nastiest. Finally I don't think anyone has mentioned the big one which is that it is co2 neutral. I would be careful what you say on the net remember what happened to Ratners when he said his jewellery was crap :biggrin: