4 x 4 for the wife

Gray git

That would not be a fair swap peat I'd end up with a clapt out old panda if I did that :D

I liked the size of the bigger Kia it just worries me how many 5-6 year old 1s are for sale with around 90k on the clock, is this the point they start to go pop?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are looking to change my wifes car (focus estate) for a 4x4 of some sort and have looked at a few options and have narrowed it down to a list of a few and would apreciate it if any1 has any imput good or bad about what we are looking at.

Mitsubushi outlander,

Landrover freelander 2 or 3. smalest we will go.

Kia sornto.

We have discarded the honda crv as back seets have very little space

Id have a dicovery but the wife is worried about its fuel consumption.

We want something that is more car like than my landys for moterway back and forth to hospital with my son but can handle the bad winter roades we get around here and we can pile the clan and kit into when we go away.

Any input apreciated.

I was going to make my usual type of dullwitted comment, but as you say its shuttling back and forth from hospital I will be make 1 simple point....

If its winter weather you are battling with (especially ice) for christ's sake go for something light.

I live in 'Chelsea tractor' land, and the first touch of ice, all the yummy mummies in their 2.5tonne traction controlled ABS breaked £80,000 4x4s tear down the hills and bust straight through the hedges on the first nice icy corner.

they cant work out that if all 4 wheels are skidding on a zero friction surface, the best electronic gadgetry stands for nothing - they are only going one way, and that is straight forward.

As well as driving 'proper' 4x4's I regularly drive nissan xtrails, freelander2s and vitaras.

any of these will do whatever you ask of them on a road situation as long as you drive them (rather than drive 'in' them - if you see what I mean)

Best wishes to you and your family.

Cheers mat, I know what you are sayin about ice and heavy vehicles as have put a 110 On its side and written it off on black ice doing less than 30 at the time :thumbdown:

Low profile wide road going rubber has trouble getting grip when the going is not perfect so be like our northern European cousin's and fit softer compound snow tires in winter and drive sensibly.

Cheers mat, I know what you are sayin about ice and heavy vehicles as have put a 110 On its side and written it off on black ice doing less than 30 at the time :thumbdown:

Low profile wide road going rubber has trouble getting grip when the going is not perfect so be like our northern European cousin's and fit softer compound snow tires in winter and drive sensibly.

That reminds me of something which made me have to stop my car as I was laughing so hard. I was at uni in Penrith when it snowed, the white stuff was on the ground for about 6-8 weeks. I was driving through pooley bridge in my focus with snow tyres and chains on. I was heading to high st for a bit of winter hill walking and skiing. As I was driving to the bottom of the hill some holiday maker was in his brand new ML with London tyres on. All four wheels spinning and he was just doing a perfect 360 where the car stood. I waited for him to stop and just drove around him. His jaw hit the floor, how could a 1.6 focus be trundling around as if it's summer when his 60k merc couldn't even leave its parking space. If only I could of taken a picture of him as I drove past.....

That would not be a fair swap peat I'd end up with a clapt out old panda if I did that :D

Due to severe slap to head I have to put in a retraction to this comment, no-one makes a 4x4 good enough that I'd swap the wife for it.

Now 6x6 that's a different matter all together big merk thing with the bulnose botnet starts with a z I think :D

• 2 weeks later...

how about a jeep commander?

I just bought one and i am absolutley chuffed with it.

comfy, good 4x4 ( pulled my movano out of the mud with road tyres no problem).

Comfy

7 seats!

only problem is i cant keep my wife from nicking it at every gven opotunity!

Vw golf 5, 4motion 1.9 TDI

Loads of grip ! Great acceleration, plenty of room, reliable, and very high milage out of one tank of gasoline.

Only thing, we have got the sport edition with absolutely minimum of ground clearance........so after driving around muddy dirtroads home with the landcruiser 100 and switching over to the family 4 motion....try to remember nog to go into the deep muddy parts...you'll get stuck !

Vw golf 5, 4motion 1.9 TDI

Loads of grip ! Great acceleration, plenty of room, reliable, and very high milage out of one tank of gasoline.

Baffles me how Golfs in particular and Volkswagens in general ever managed to get this reputation for bullet proof reliability. Known lots of people with them over the years and there's plenty of trouble, nothing like the total disaster of French stuff admittedly but nothing like the almost metronomic reliability of Japanese and now some of the Korean stuff either.

Then again, if you want a true picture never talk to anyone who has a Golf, talk to someone who HAD a Golf, maybe that explains it!

Aye, I wonder about that too. My brother had two diesel 'Golfs' in ten years. Both were reliable but no more than a reliable car should be. But when they needed repair, the cost was significant. He now drives an diesel Astra.

But back to the original question.

The Outlander will be expensive to shoe, big wheels... If they roll as much as the 'Shogan' does, they'll have a bouncy ride.

Freelanders are comfy and not bad for towing. Not good on mpg. The one thing you don't want to do in one, as my neighbour once did; is hit the a Jag at 90mph. Tends to knacker the Jag and shifted the Freelander's engine & front wheels into the footwell. She survived, her 'Crufts' winner did not. Before the smash, I think the dog was worth more than the vehicles.