Late night phone calls......

Quercus-90

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am always booked at least 12 months in advance with 2 days a week spare normally work 6 days. I never answer the phone 9 times out 10 its a sales call let the answer phone get it. Phone lines have been down for 4 days now not made a difference. I like emails it saves all the you said I said hassle also if customer puts job on back burner I can pick it up again in 6 months if I drink 6 pints of cider memories of my first 45 years have gone :001_smile: I am now at the age when you have to write everything down.

Use your answer phone as door to your life. Vet the calls before responding. If it's a regular, good client, respond to e call appropriately. If it's a ridiculous call deal with it tomorrow, it'll wait. Trees don't grow out of control overnight. Or hedges, or lawns. Best message I had this week, during storm clear ups, went along the lines of:

"Hi there, my trees dying, it's losing leaves all over the place, can you come out right away and sort it out?" This was left at 9.30pm on Monday night, after I'd worked til dark getting two trees off two separate houses and tarped the holes in their roofs so they could sleep at night. I called her back next day, and explained it was autumn, and deciduous trees lose leaves in autumn, and if she really wanted me to come out there would be a £50 consultation fee. I also explained many many people had far bigger problems with their trees right now than a few falling leaves.

Again, people can only get to you if you open the "door" by answering your phone, buy yourself time, and give your sanity a chance, we're in this for the long haul, not short term gain. And we can't do everything, don't try to. :001_smile:

Use your answer phone as door to your life. Vet the calls before responding. If it's a regular, good client, respond to e call appropriately. If it's a ridiculous call deal with it tomorrow, it'll wait. Trees don't grow out of control overnight. Or hedges, or lawns. Best message I had this week, during storm clear ups, went along the lines of:

"Hi there, my trees dying, it's losing leaves all over the place, can you come out right away and sort it out?" This was left at 9.30pm on Monday night, after I'd worked til dark getting two trees off two separate houses and tarped the holes in their roofs so they could sleep at night. I called her back next day, and explained it was autumn, and deciduous trees lose leaves in autumn, and if she really wanted me to come out there would be a £50 consultation fee. I also explained many many people had far bigger problems with their trees right now than a few falling leaves.

Again, people can only get to you if you open the "door" by answering your phone, buy yourself time, and give your sanity a chance, we're in this for the long haul, not short term gain. And we can't do everything, don't try to. :001_smile:

Spot on! :thumbup1:

I had a good one on Monday.

We were clearing up a fallen holm oak at a local hospital when I got a call.

It went like this..

'I have a fallen tree across my garden, can you come and have a look at it?'

(location - about 10 miles away)

'No problem we've goat all the gear with us can be there in about an hour'

'Oh - I may not want it done, it depends on the price'

'Well we would have to agree a price before we start'

'Yes but if it's too much I'll just leave it, can you give ma an idea over the phone?'

'Not without an accurate description, it depends on access....etc...'

'You may remember the tree, youve done work for me before'

(she then revealed who she was - vague, full of while-you-are-heres and I-though- you'd- take-more-off)

'On the basis that you only seem to want a quote, I can come over at the end of the day and have a look, but I have three more CERTAIN jobs to do so you will have to wait till later'

'Can't you give me any idea of cost?'

'NO'

'Why not?'

'Because if I err on the side of caution you will think I'm expensive and if I give a price that turns out to be low you will be disappointed that I want to charge more when I see it - it's not professional to guess'

'Can you please give me a range - I will not hold you to it'

'OK - if its under 6ft and I think access is easy it could be £30, if its huge and inaccessible it could be into 4 figures'

'Well what time can you come round then?'

This went on for 5 minutes while my guys were trying to keep gawpers out of the work area and all the noise was going on.

Eventually I told her we had too much to do, and I'd phone her back and look at the tree when I had a chance.

I went round on Friday afternoon

It's a 30 ft pine (12'' DB) horrible access so I said £180.

Her reply was

'I was hoping it would be £30 like you said on the phone'

I reminded her of the caveat I put on that statement and suggested she call someone else for a quote or two.

She replied,

'Oh no, I've always used you I wouldn't trust anyone else'

She then asked

'How about you remove the tree and reduce that hedge (3 hours work last time) for £200?.

'No - don't think we are going to agree, I really have to go I'm very busy'

'Before you go do you think I could give the tree to a local charity - they could take it away for free!'

'Given the size and location (and access) they would need a large crane which would cost at least £300 - I don't think that is charitable, nor is it the right sort of tree, nor would it look any good by Christmas'

She looked stunned.

I went home -

Edited by Shane

I had a good one on Monday.

We were clearing up a fallen holm oak at a local hospital when I got a call.

It went like this..

'I have a fallen tree across my garden, can you come and have a look at it?'

(location - about 10 miles away)

'No problem we've goat all the gear with us can be there in about an hour'

'Oh - I may not want it done, it depends on the price'

'Well we would have to agree a price before we start'

'Yes but if it's too much I'll just leave it, can you give ma an idea over the phone?'

'Not without an accurate description, it depends on access....etc...'

'You may remember the tree, youve done work for me before'

(she then revealed who she was - vague, full of while-you-are-heres and I-though- you'd- take-more-off)

'On the basis that you only seem to want a quote, I can come over at the end of the day and have a look, but I have three more CERTAIN jobs to do so you will have to wait till later'

'Can't you give me any idea of cost?'

'NO'

'Why not?'

'Because if I err on the side of caution you will think I'm expensive and if I give a price that turns out to be low you will be disappointed that I want to charge more when I see it - it's not professional to guess'

'Can you please give me a range - I will not hold you to it'

'OK - if its under 6ft and I think access is easy it could be £30, if its huge and inaccessible it could be into 4 figures'

'Well what time can you come round then?'

This went on for 5 minutes while my guys were trying to keep gawpers out of the work area and all the noise was going on.

Eventually I told her we had too much to do, and I'd phone her back and look at the tree when I had a chance.

I went round on Friday afternoon

It's a 30 ft pine (12'' DB) horrible access so I said £180.

Her reply was

'I was hoping it would be £30 like you said on the phone'

I reminded her of the caveat I put on that statement and suggested she call someone else for a quote or two.

She replied,

'Oh no, I've always used you I wouldn't trust anyone else'

She then asked

'How about you remove the tree and reduce that hedge (3 hours work last time) for £200?.

'No - don't think we are going to agree, I really have to go I'm very busy'

'Before you go do you think I could give the tree to a local charity - they could take it away for free!'

'Given the size and location (and access) they would need a large crane which would cost at least £300 - I don't think that is charitable, nor is it the right sort of tree, nor would it look any good by Christmas'

She looked stunned.

I went home -

Classic, I bet you get a call in a week or so and get the job. They just trying it on.

Went to quote for the lady today, she made out like it was a ton of work!

£50 worth of hedge cutting if that! I was walked around her tiny garden for 10 minutes being questioned on the ID of every tree, shrub and flower! Which I begrudgingly did, when we finally finished I gave my price (amazingly no quibble!) to then be asked if I would carry her bins round the front on my way out!!!!!

To turn up or not to turn up!?

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App