best top handle chain saw?

philip2011

I have 4 200t's and a 201t, the 201 has been languishing unloved in the van for a while now, the guys just prefer the 200's. I have to agree, the 201 feels slow and gutless, its pretty disappointing that I am going to have to pay to mod a new saw just to make it cut as well as the outgoing model. Unless stihl will sort it out for free????

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok this my first post I feel I need to comment on this.

First of all the OP asked which is the best top handle saw (he didn't ask about tickets etc) so I'll suggest the sthil ms 200 if buying new the sthil ms 201 only because of parts and maintenance. I've got one of the first 201s (2011) it was poor but I've modded it (tons better) and comparing it to the current 201 it's about the same. Sthil I believe are improving the 201 all the time, the 540 husky is a good saw but it's not as good as people make it out to be, it's around the same as the 2012/13 sthil 201's

Second of all his dad is buying this saw so I'm presuming he's only going to have one saw for a period of time, I'd recommend a top handle saw it can be used up a tree and to cut wood/trees on the floor, yes it's not allowed in the eyes of health and safety, but so what I know I'd rather ring up 8 inch diameter logs with a 201 than an 088 (which is allowed)

Thirdly is only use a groundsaw up a tree when ringing the stem down, it's cumbersome for pruning and if anything slightly dangerous compared to a top handle saw

All in all I think a bit common sense is needed specially for a guy that's got limited funds and is after his first saw

I wasn't husky bashing I chose a 560 xp over a 441 for a decent groundsaw

Also I've being doing this for around 8 years so I'm not a complete noob when it comes to this, I don't mean to be offensive but I felt the need to get this topic back on track and enforce some common sense

Seems like You are def a Stihl man !

My 3 540t saws all run Nice and only the small filler opening is something i can agree with. Take your saw to the husky shop and let them work it out ;-)

Yes you are right to a point, I was 100% Stihl until earlier this year, but I do feel the quality of Stihl stuff is falling and the new policy, stopping posting really gets my goat (even thought it does not affect me personally) so I will be looking for an altunative to Stihl when ever possible, we have a 550 and it really is a great saw, I really hopped the 540 would be great, but its really been a let down.

If it was made clear, the op hasnt had any training. So a ground saw would be best to train with when he goes to college this month and to continue using it after.

I have seen a bunch of lads that go through the course and only come out with ground tickets. Not that i think he wouldnt gain the four basic tickets to start his new line of work.

Why start off with bad habbits !!

I'd rather ring up 8 inch diameter logs with a 201 than an 088 (which is allowed)

Nobody said buy and 88, they said buy a sensible ground saw you can use on the ground and in the tree, it is up to a£2000 fine if caught using a top handle on the ground and his dad won't be able to buy one from most dealers without producing a 39 ticket,

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I'd rather ring up 8 inch diameter logs with a 201 than an 088 (which is allowed)

Nobody said buy and 88, they said buy a sensible ground saw you can use on the ground and in the tree, it is up to a£2000 fine if caught using a top handle on the ground and his dad won't be able to buy one from most dealers without producing a 39 ticket,

Utter rubbish.

Any resource to prove there is a penalty of £2000 if caught using a top handle on the ground?

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/chainsaws/17166-top-handled-saw.html

Here is a link to an old thread on here with the same info :)

Yes and it was wrong then.

Sure its against HSE recommendation and you could be protected (as a guy was in a previous thread) but it would require a great deal more than just using an 020, two handed on the ground for the HSE to even contemplate prosecuting you.

To suggest that there is a fine of £2000 for the offence of using a top handle saw on the ground is ridiculous.

Edited by skyhuck