Ethanol in Fuel articles...

TimberCutterDartmoor

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ADW, I am frankly amazed that an engineer such as yourself does not see the negative effects of pump fuel on a daily basis, although I suppose I would have said the same as you until around 4 years ago because I was simply ignorant of the deficiencies in pump fuel and the effects it was having on motors. I just got on and fixed them and thought nothing of it. But then, when I realised that around 80% of engine problems are fuel related I started looking for a way to overcome the problems.

I agree with you that engines will run quite well on pump fuel with no detriment, as long as that fuel is fresh and contains minimal ethanol.

But the trouble is that pump fuel does not stay fresh, and sadly it does contain ethanol, sometimes in high percentages. This does cause damage to engines as all manufacturers keep telling us. Its a problem that causes concern to engine manufactures and many state not to use fuel over 30 days old. The problems are well documented.

I too see inside plenty of engines running on pump fuel, but usually the only reason for seeing inside is when they have failed.

I seldom see inside one on Aspen as they simply very seldom fail, but I have taken the odd one down in my never ending quest to further my knowledge on the product and the difference between one run on Aspen and one on petrol is incredible.

I short, its not 'brainwashing' but education for those who want to learn, and its not hype, its fact.

But its a free world, if you don't want to use Aspen , or recommend it to your customers then thats fine by me, I respect that, but please do not knock what you do not understand.

But the happy faces and never ending positive comments from my returning customers are sufficient to tell me that Aspen, despite the price, has an important place in this industry, and a very positive future.

I agree that the price is prohibative and I stayed away for a long time . I tried it in my 560 firstly as any adjustments that might be needed would be taken care of automatically . I dont know if its phsycological ( spelling :001_smile: ) but I would say it runs stronger than on pump fuel , certainly not less power . I still mix though ...I mix Aspen 4 with Red line at 50 : 1 .

Cost, and decreased power.

What? Your company states in every single 2-stroke manual that aspen should be used instead of pump fuel. All power specs are given for machines ran on aspen.

Machines fitted with autotune and ran solely on aspen have engine seizures covered by warranty.

Aspen is a cleaner burning fuel, that is more chemically stable and uniform mixture, providing a more controlled (and shorter) burn.

What? Your company states in every single 2-stroke manual that aspen should be used instead of pump fuel. All power specs are given for machines ran on aspen.

Machines fitted with autotune and ran solely on aspen have engine seizures covered by warranty.

Aspen is a cleaner burning fuel, that is more chemically stable and uniform mixture, providing a more controlled (and shorter) burn.

A more controlled burn would generally be longer than shorter; rather like higher octane gives greater knock resistance. Perfect stoichiometric ratio is rarely acheived in a chainsaw 2-stroke and so the sweet spot in terms of maintaining the flame propogation in the cylinder with the right fuel is nigh on impossible to produce the balance between constant pressure and constant volume. The SI engine is inherantly the latter so a shorter burn is not desirable.

The last time this issue was discussed I was prompted to do some online research on the subject and I was dismayed by the long list of materials that can be adversely affected by ethanol, a lot of the info seemed came from the USA where the problem seems more acute with higher percentages of ethanol being supplied in some states.

But although I have more than a dozen small petrol engine powered machines, which I do my best to protect by using fuel stabiliser, I`m far more concerned about the potential damage being done to other much more complicated and costly machines, cars, motorcycles, boats etc which most folk, except the super rich, will be unable to afford to protect. I would imagine that all of the vehicles at Goodwood for instance, will be running on Aspen or an equivalent, a mind boggling expense !!

It seems that folk who read this forum are being well educated on the subject, but in my experience the vast majority of the population are totally unaware that there is any problem. cheers

Our local dealer is now selling more and more Aspen after I asked for them to get some for me over a year ago. A lot of their machines on sale all have Aspen recommendations attached to them. Honda etc.

Out of 11 saws, 9 are now running on it quite happily. Just the 346 and 576 are on unleaded mix now.

For me it means no concerns over stale fuel if one has been sat on the shelf for a while. And less worry over warranty claims with some of the issues newer saws have been having.

Garden kit, you are selling this product, and making a profit, so you are bound to be promoting it to the poor people who have been brain washed into thinking if they dont use it there saw will fall to bits, or seize up, or have deposits in there carbs, and so on, i see inside plenty of two strokes, running quit happily on pump fuel, no seizures, no horrible failures, stop this hype, every day people need to use pump fuel, god knows that is expensive enough, with out paying Aspen prices, and i stick to my guns, less power.

Trust me as someone who also sells Aspen, Barry won't be retiring to the Bahamas on the profits just yet. He is passionate about providing the best for his customers and Aspen fits the bill. There is only one way the ethanol content is going and that is up. So expect more problems round the corner.