Recommend a tractor.

Woodworks

She's a beauty! :thumbup:

How much if you don't mind me asking? I paid £1800 for my 454, excellent engine but cab panels a bit rotted. Good safety frame and roof, that's all I need! So I sold the doors :lol:

£1800 for mine 2 years ago! Must have nearly doubled in price from what i've seen lately!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

International was the way I went. With a good loader being the important bit. My 885xl will lift 1 ton without weight at the back although its not recommended as any sudden movements causes stability issues. Will also lift a ton on pallet toes on the rear. Much chaper than equivalent ford or MF. Slight down side is the use of hytrans oil meaning you cant borrow implements which may have other oils in rams etc, I dont farm with mine so not a problem.

I think things have changed in the last few years.

It may of even been a marketing ploy of IH dealerships saying they'd only run on hytran, but my Dad runs a 885 on a flail cutter without it. Think its a run of the mill hydraulic at a fraction of the IH price. The proof is in the pudding too, its just clocked 20,000 hours last week, he bought it with less than 2k on it and in that time its had one hyd pump. Not bad for all those hours, regular servicing has given service that's meant the engine has never even been stripped.

If you want to know more about the hydraulic oil issue I can ask him what he uses if you like?

I used to sell tractors. Zetors are always a good bet, they are cheap to run and take any amount of stick, but some of the bits like clutch and brake cylinders were a little low in quality, as were some of the electrics. The old dry brakes were also a bit hit and miss.

I also sold Renault. If I were in your position I would be looking for an old (90's) 90-34 either MX or TX.

As this has turned into the International Appreciation Thread (my fault, I know :blushing::lol:), here are some pictures of my Flora earning her keep:

Have to agree; I wish the International engine (D239) in the forwarder was also in my John Deere 2130; the latters engine exhibits one issue after another if oil changes were neglected which mine must have been in a former life; balancer shaft bearings knackered. BIG fan of International / Case here :thumbup:

McCormick mc100 are very good work horses, very basic but reliable,

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

weak back axles tho.

It may of even been a marketing ploy of IH dealerships saying they'd only run on hytran, but my Dad runs a 885 on a flail cutter without it. Think its a run of the mill hydraulic at a fraction of the IH price.

I worked for an IH dealership when the 475, 574 674 came out and we were told it was an issue with the new wet disc brakes that required the special oil.

At the same time Fords required an anti squeal additive for their back axles too.

Have to agree; I wish the International engine (D239) in the forwarder was also in my John Deere 2130; the latters engine exhibits one issue after another if oil changes were neglected which mine must have been in a former life; balancer shaft bearings knackered. BIG fan of International / Case here :thumbup:

weak back axles tho.

Can't blame it on the engine if oil changes were neglected.

The International 454 German-built diesel engine (as fitted to most of the UK-sold models) can only be bored out once, by a few thou. Therefore clean oil is a must for this engine also.

In fact it's a must for any engine. I never understand people who think it's OK, or a cost saving, to leave what looks like crude oil in an engine. Or even to let it get like that in the first place. :thumbdown:

The International 454 German-built diesel engine (as fitted to most of the UK-sold models) can only be bored out once, by a few thou. Therefore clean oil is a must for this engine also.

The 74 series used wet liners. I didn't see any engine strip downs my only repair was removing the file that had been left in the rear tyre casing after I'd driven the machine on its first delivery to a local farmer.

I do remember being confused by the brakes if you didn't use the middle pedal and hit the L and R almost simultaneously both pedals went to the floor? I confess I haven't been in one since 76.

Middle pedal? They have two that join together surely.

Mine needs to be bled every few weeks or if independant braking it can start to touch the floor. As it uses the main oil reservoir it's not too much of an issue and easier for the time being than sorting the underlying issue.

It happens so slowly that you don't realise it and get used it it. Then when you bleed them you end up almost going through the hole where the windscreen used to be :lol:

Middle pedal? They have two that join together surely.

Memory plays tricks, I may be confusing it with the Leylands, it was a two make dealership, one of them had a flip down central pedal for on road use.

Mine needs to be bled every few weeks or if independant braking it can start to touch the floor. As it uses the main oil reservoir it's not too much of an issue and easier for the time being than sorting the underlying issue.

It happens so slowly that you don't realise it and get used it it. Then when you bleed them you end up almost going through the hole where the windscreen used to be :lol:

There was some sort of valve in the system that deactivated the opposing brake when just one pedal was pressed to skid steer. if your foot slipped and touched the other brake both systems failed, I'd be interested to know if it was just a fault.