New Scrap Metal laws

chopperpete

May be of interest to some of you. From 15th October 2013 all scrap metal sites and mobile door to door collectors (including car recovery companies who transport scrap cars) have to be licensed by their local Council. They will be police checked (crb) and if have relevant offences such as theft, illegal waste dumping, they will not be issued with a licence. A collector must apply to every authority he works in. They must also have a waste carriage licence issued by the Environmental Agency.If you take any scrap to a yard or sell to a collector they must pay you by cheque or bank transfer. You must show them ID. If you are a bonifide tradesman ie plumber, electrican, landscape gardener and you occasionally take scrap to a yard, you will NOT need to be licensed. Useful to know if you are stopped by police. Fines for being unlicensed are currently £5000, but soon to be unlimited. New law is to try to stem the stealing of metals, cables and other materials. Will it work, time will tell?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you take any scrap to a yard or sell to a collector they must pay you by cheque or bank transfer. You must show them ID.

It isn't biting yet in Sussex, they pay cash up to £100, if it's more weight they do two transactions just to avoid their paperwork. I've used two local places and they were both the same.

It's a problem in that I would prefer a BACS transaction and to issue a proper VAT receipt as I have to account for the scrap.

It isn't biting yet in Sussex, they pay cash up to £100, if it's more weight they do two transactions just to avoid their paperwork. I've used two local places and they were both the same.

It's a problem in that I would prefer a BACS transaction and to issue a proper VAT receipt as I have to account for the scrap.

we have an account with the scrappy we use. we can take in as much or as little as we like and the value just goes on the account. then any time we like we can go and get the acc paid out. we get a cheque,vat ticket, and a printed breakdown of what went on the account and when