Your scariest climb?

Cloud9climber

scariest climbs....probably some of my earliest / not really the most dangerous trees but the ones where i was well out of my comfort zone. I recall taking the top of a 110ft pop, cocked it up and it rattled me on the way down #slashcuts. It smacked me pritty good and i looked at my hands and through the new holes on my gloves all i could see was blood....thought i'd busted my hand up real good..... (funny thing is i did the same thing about 2 years later....#slashcutsyouwillneverlearn)

Other one where I thought i was in real going to get killed trouble...big frozen oak, stem split in two about 10 meters up (not a split in the trunk but the crown broke) felled out one half, stropped into the second stem and gobbed it and did my back cut - it had too much forward weight and ripped the stem in half pulling me onto the top of the stump, luckily my vt on my strop was frozen up and it ended up not holding and it ran out. My famous last words would have been 'Oh B*****D'

A completely ripped to pieces pop over live rail lines had me giggling like a maniac it was so stupid, probably one of the most knackered trees i've ever done and it was being climbed in a snow storm and i was wearing a t-shirt and had the onset of hypothermia by the time id finished. But i wouldnt say i was scared...more crazed....

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

had a large poplar to dismantle, took the crown out easy enuf, sectional felling main stem, slowly, due too size of landing zone. Decided to fell large section, had a wire strop on, gob cut fine, half way through back cut and it split with the trunk pushing against my stomach before breaking off, shat myself, got down an had to take breather before finishing the job. Was shaking all over, almost gave treework up, but hey ho still goin!!

• 2 weeks later...

Was doing a willow takedown. Was going well until I got to the trunk!! Was taking it down about 6ft at a time. Put my gob in made sure my strop was clear and started my back cut:(

As it went over it ripped down one side which pulled me into the tree,took the air out my lungs and then ripped me down to the ground. I just remember laying on the floor thinking I'm dead. I have a few more years under my belt now and not made anymore silly mistakes since:)

Was doing a willow takedown. Was going well until I got to the trunk!! Was taking it down about 6ft at a time. Put my gob in made sure my strop was clear and started my back cut:(

As it went over it ripped down one side which pulled me into the tree,took the air out my lungs and then ripped me down to the ground. I just remember laying on the floor thinking I'm dead. I have a few more years under my belt now and not made anymore silly mistakes since:)

Yes, a good example of why you should ALWAYS put ears in on willow.

Yes, a good example of why you should ALWAYS put ears in on willow.

I've got into the habit of always putting them in. Do it when felling aswell. Saw a root get pulled up when the feller was standing the other day would is had him if he had not taken a couple of steps back.

Sent from the future.