Your scariest climb?

Cloud9climber

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a scary climb as such, but a scary experience while climbing.

This Monday, while taking down a spruce, chugging down the stem, I found myself about 30ft up, with my only attachment point being my throwline clipped into my Caritool!

The stem was covered in ivy, and I had been fighting it constantly. I guess that is what threw me off.

The attached image is from that very job/incident.

I feel quite lucky to be alive and well, right now!

IMG_0833.jpg.c6ab6aba06a79f3e4a7b236d549cbad9.jpg

That there is my biggest fear...

Have had a few kittens on white willows, moving a metre side to side in 50 mph gusts, hands so cold I had to tie off and curl up in a ball with bare hands in oxters inside the waterproofs for 2 minutes till I could feel them again.

Hand an inch or 2 from ms200 exhaust and then rev......ahhhh, lush on a cold day!!! Please do not do unless you have the relevant certification

• 3 weeks later...

Small gum removal about 20m early last year. Had finished rigging off the limbs and then was blocking down the stem. Got down and realised for the entire climb that the hitch side of my lanyard had been clipped into a gear loop. Lesson learnt, if you're clipping a lifeline onto your harness when your not using it always clip it into the correct place so that you don't forget when you do climb on it!

Small gum removal about 20m early last year. Had finished rigging off the limbs and then was blocking down the stem. Got down and realised for the entire climb that the hitch side of my lanyard had been clipped into a gear loop. Lesson learnt, if you're clipping a lifeline onto your harness when your not using it always clip it into the correct place so that you don't forget when you do climb on it!

Easily done mate, there must be a fair few of us that have clipped their lanyard into their caritool in a moment of absent minded ness!