what chipper to buy

marc laycock

OK guys and girls I am at the stage of buying a chipper, so what do you use are they good (pros and cons) I have only used jensens so far and like them. I prefer tracked chippers budget is about £9000 so what do you all recommend.

i you can stretch yr budget to a tracked chipper do so ,iv had 1, for 8yrs+ & wouldnt go bk to just a mobile, with a jensen & tw the hoppers lift of to get thru narrow gates ,5,min of a job on & off ,use them for pulling trees over ,uses are endless, +you then have a trailer for shifting stuff as well. not just a truck ,:thumbup1:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't have a massive budget especially for a tracked machine.

I won't go into the TW/Jensen/GM et all debate as it can side line your thoughts.

Perhaps you may be better off looking for someone who wants to upgrade their machine and is looking for a cash buyer rather than a trade in.

Which ever route you take the service history of the m/c is very important.

The main dealers will be able to ship parts within 24 hrs so nothing to choose there.

Perhaps if you find a machine you could take it to your local dealer and ask them to give it a once over ?........If its an honest sale then you can get an unbiased opinion of the m/c's condition to the benefit of both parties.

Just my thoughts :001_smile:

I spent your budget on a tracked timber wolf a few years ago, and if I'm going to be honest it broke my heart!

Bearings failed twice in 2 years, and I ended up spending a lot on parts in general mainly because by the time I brought it, it had seen the better days of its life so electrical issues were an almost weekly battle.

I recently hired a timber wolf which also had a bearing failure whilst in my use and spat the flywheel fins (which are made of soap!) Out through the shoot.

For this reason if I was you unless you are very lucky finding a good tracked one in your budget then you'll get a much newer road tow for your budget.

Why not look at HP for a new chipper?

Common practise is to put the full V.a.t. down plus 10% of the total value as a deposit and then spread the rest over 3 or 5 years.

If you did it this way you have the deposit already and several months worth of repayments in the account ready to go.

Once you start earning from the new machine you can put X amount aside for your monthly payments as you would normally and work it right you could be 3 or 4 months in advance of yourself so if you have a rough month you have the buffer??

Just a thought.

J

Common practise is to put the full V.a.t. down plus 10% of the total value as a deposit and then spread the rest over 3 or 5 years.

If you did it this way you have the deposit already and several months worth of repayments in the account ready to go.

Once you start earning from the new machine you can put X amount aside for your monthly payments as you would normally and work it right you could be 3 or 4 months in advance of yourself so if you have a rough month you have the buffer??

Just a thought.

J

Certainly a good point, 9k is a pretty respectable budget for a 6 inch road tow, but if you put say 5k down as a deposit and spread the rest the payments will be pretty low and you'll have 4k ready as a contingency fund.

I use to be very anti finance when so started but with good deals to be had on the repayments you end up spreading the investment cost yet end up with a nice new machine under warranty.

Depends on VAT too though, I'd say 9k Inc VAT is probably going to buy a higher houred machine ie 1400 plus. No doubt that is relatively low hours for the engine itself, but everything else will be fairly worn.

why is 1400 hrs high ?? a well built machine will last for yrs ,mines done 1400hrs ,& is sound .:001_smile:

Just a thought.

J

Sensible post James.

Why are tracked machines SO much more expensive?

I honestly struggle to see how doubling the price is justified.