My stihl won't run on Aspen - problem solved

Marcl

I really doubt the problem is actually down to the Aspen.

I have converted many 100's of machines (truly!) to Aspen and NEVER had one that would not start because of it.

Yes, I have had to retune a few to optimise their running and tick over, but they always start.

And as others have said, the rubbers can age once the petrol is removed, but not instantly. Problems with rubbers would not appear for many days. And problems with the rubbers and diaphragms are not the norm.

I reckon your machine has either flooded, or a little dirt from the bottom of the tank has moved through into the carb and its pure, but unfortunate, coincidence.

Hope you resolve the problem quickly and have success with the Aspen.

I may empty the tank tomorrow and put it back on Stihl mix and see what happens. I have to say the tank is spotless the machine is as new. I have heard some on here mention their Stihl not running right on it. What i Don't want to do is tune it to the point that I can't run it on normal stuff without a re-tune.

Marc.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said, it really should not come to that. Any machine will run on Aspen, as long as the carburation is in good order.

The worse case scenario is that you overhaul the carb. Give it a good clean and fit new diaphragms and gaskets. Possibly change the fuel hoses.

It will then run equally well on petrol or Aspen.

New rubber will stay in perfect condition when using Aspen, but will be affected slowly by pump fuel.

I may empty the tank tomorrow and put it back on Stihl mix and see what happens. I have to say the tank is spotless the machine is as new. I have heard some on here mention their Stihl not running right on it. What i Don't want to do is tune it to the point that I can't run it on normal stuff without a re-tune.

Marc.

All that would happen is it would be a little rich on idle

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I converted all my hedge cutters to aspen. All but one husqy was fine I put it back to pump fuel and it would not start on that either. Eventually found the split in the fuel pipe hidden under a grommet. The problem was nothing to do with fuel but its easy to blame something you just put in the tank. Aspen is expensive but if you have alot of engines u use occassionally its cheaper than constant carb rebuilds pump fuel is now like acid it eats everything especially when it goes off.

Aspen is expensive but if you have alot of engines u use occassionally its cheaper than constant carb rebuilds pump fuel is now like acid it eats everything especially when it goes off.

I repaired an old Yamaha bike for a friend and the carbs had been stood unused with petrol in for 2 years. When I opened the float bowls up it looked and smelt like green enamel paint in there and the brass jets were caked up with stone like deposits and all had to be replaced. I used acid to clean them up but there was still a tint on the aluminium which I doubt will ever come off completely.

I repaired an old Yamaha bike for a friend and the carbs had been stood unused with petrol in for 2 years. When I opened the float bowls up it looked and smelt like green enamel paint in there and the brass jets were caked up with stone like deposits and all had to be replaced. I used acid to clean them up but there was still a tint on the aluminium which I doubt will ever come off completely.

Yes, but this machine is nealy new and was running perfect until I put Aspen in. 30 seconds later is won't run.

Marc.

OK, just a little update. I have just taken my hedge cutter in to the shop and told him what has happened. I also told him that he can send the bill to Aspen as a machine this new that was running like a Rolls Royce before should not have any problems. He then told me that all machines have to be 'converted' to run on Aspen and that could be a two hour job. It was nice of him and Aspen to NOT tell me this before hand. I'm sure if they said it could cost maybe £40 to tune on top of the price of the Aspen they would not sell as much of the stuff. Not happy at all as you can imagine.

Now they will have my machine in to next week, I'm glad I do not need this for work, it would be costing me a lot of money.

Marc.

I think that is a fairly unfair post. Hundreds of people use aspen with no problems. Certainly, as far as I'm aware, no 'conversion' is needed. Sure in some cases rubber parts will show their weaknesses, but if they are replaced and it's an occasional use machine it's probably beneficial in the long run. A few weeks ago I used Aspen in my ms290, it's 5 or 6 years old but had very little use (as in it's only on its second chain and the paint is just starting to wear off the bar). I had problems with idling and dipping high revs as the pump fuel I was using was getting stale due to the little work I use 2stroke engines for. I emptied the tank, filled with Aspen now it runs good as new. No conversion and no carb retune/rubber replacement, I'd be questioning your dealer and what his conversion consists of...

OK, just a little update. I have just taken my hedge cutter in to the shop and told him what has happened. I also told him that he can send the bill to Aspen as a machine this new that was running like a Rolls Royce before should not have any problems. He then told me that all machines have to be 'converted' to run on Aspen and that could be a two hour job. It was nice of him and Aspen to NOT tell me this before hand. I'm sure if they said it could cost maybe £40 to tune on top of the price of the Aspen they would not sell as much of the stuff. Not happy at all as you can imagine.

Now they will have my machine in to next week, I'm glad I do not need this for work, it would be costing me a lot of money.

Marc.

I understand your frustration, but the Aspen wont be your problem. something else is going on with your machine, & you need to find out what the problem is to get it put right.

Your shop is wrong in saying that machines need to be converted to run on Aspen, if the shop cant give you accurate advice I would be looking elsewere to get it fixed.

Marc.

I don't think you are listening Marc. You said that you ran the machine then emptied the tank and then you refilled it with Aspen. When you tried to start the machine it would have still had the old fuel in the carb, the Aspen would not have gotten out of the fuel tank at this stage.