My stihl won't run on Aspen - problem solved

Marcl

It's a great thread mate, & if you need advice it is a good place to ask.:thumbup1:

Thanks Geoff,

I was begining to think people might have thought I was a bit of a plonker who can't work a hedge cutter.

I can't wait to know what the problem is myself.

@Eddie. Since you are comming a long way I'll get some dinner sorted for you Eddie.

Marc.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will read it, I love 'how to' threads and maintain a my tools myself normally. It can save you a lot money for sure. No more going to dealers and getting charged for new fufu valve.:lol:

Marc.

Definitely saves a lot of money, in the case of my 090, it means it runs, rather than scrapped, I saved about £300 on my 357xp, god knows how much I've saved with my 200t, hs45, ht75, 343r brushcutter, weedeater blower, chipper, 650k disc cutter, plus other stuff too!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Hi All, As Marc has said I am driving up next week to have a look and get this all sorted for him. We will all know the facts after I look / fix the machine myself.

All a bit strange and I am very keen to help him and get to the bottom of it all.

Eddie

Nice one Eddie. Be sure to keep us informed on the progress!!

Maybe Aspen should tell all of there dealers to mention this. It seems only fair to me.

Marc.

I agree in principle, and I always do tell my customers that it is a possibility, but also that it is rare to need any attention.

I also offer to retune free of charge should it be needed, as it is after all only a 2minute job.

But I also stress that Aspen will not fix pre existing problems. These need fixing whatever fuel is going to be used.

Barrie

I agree in principle, and I always do tell my customers that it is a possibility, but also that it is rare to need any attention.

I also offer to retune free of charge should it be needed, as it is after all only a 2minute job.

But I also stress that Aspen will not fix pre existing problems. These need fixing whatever fuel is going to be used.

Barrie

Just to be clear there were no pre existing problems.

The dealer that sold me the Aspen said that there simply wasn't enough mark up in the product to re-tune a customers machine if it did not run properly:001_huh: I know, I know, I need to change where I get my stuff repaired. In all fairness I have never had anything repaired there, I went there because they are my local Aspen dealer.

Marc.

Just to be clear there were no pre existing problems.

The dealer that sold me the Aspen said that there simply wasn't enough mark up in the product to re-tune a customers machine if it did not run properly:001_huh: I know, I know, I need to change where I get my stuff repaired. In all fairness I have never had anything repaired there, I went there because they are my local Aspen dealer.

Marc.

Sorry, I was generalising on the comment about pre existing problems, not aiming it at you.

And your dealer is right, there is not a lot of margin on a can of Aspen, but he is being a little shortsighted.

Give the man a free tune up (in the unlikely event that is needed) and he will be back every few weeks for more cans. And whilst in the shop may well buy other things. Its better than letting him go to the garage for petrol.

I think the old saying 'a sprat to catch a mackeral' applies.

Definitely saves a lot of money, in the case of my 090, it means it runs, rather than scrapped, I saved about £300 on my 357xp, god knows how much I've saved with my 200t, hs45, ht75, 343r brushcutter, weedeater blower, chipper, 650k disc cutter, plus other stuff too!

That's some serious money saved I bet. The thing is you also never really know if you have a bad repair shop or not. You could be charged for stuff that doesn't need replacing. At least when you do it yourself you know what's been done.

A couple of years ago I took my car in to be serviced. I've always done it myself but because of work I had no time so they serviced it whilst MOTing it. Anyway I asked 'have you done it all, air filter as well? 'Yep all done' he said. I left the garage, approached the roundabout an as I braked the NEW air filter slid out from under the seat! Still in it's box. :001_huh: I went back and told him it goes under the bonnet!

Marc

Marc.

That's some serious money saved I bet. The thing is you also never really know if you have a bad repair shop or not. You could be charged for stuff that doesn't need replacing. At least when you do it yourself you know what's been done.

A couple of years ago I took my car in to be serviced. I've always done it myself but because of work I had no time so they serviced it whilst MOTing it. Anyway I asked 'have you done it all, air filter as well? 'Yep all done' he said. I left the garage, approached the roundabout an as I braked the NEW air filter slid out from under the seat! Still in it's box. :001_huh: I went back and told him it goes under the bonnet!

Marc

Marc.

I'll take a guess at about £2-3k, a lot of the equipment would have been uneconomic for a dealer repair, and in the case of the 090, they legally couldn't work on it apparently, so I'd have had to buy an ms880

Sounds like tha guy from Aspen is doing a fine job and has made a very positive gesture on this one.

For the record, if any customer want his machine changed over to Aspen I generally change the fuel line and fit a new carb kit. The reason - £20 of parts is nothing compared to the machine forming a fuel leak or playing up after being sent back, especially if it fails on a large job with possibly no back up saw.

Most of my work is done at a distance for guys with limited knowledge of carbs etc so my personal opinion is that it may not be 100% needed but is a way of ensuring the saw continues to run as it should and isn't just a way to charge more - I am guessing that your shop may have charged much more than £40 for 2-3 hours work and my fitting of these parts is generally part of a major refurb.

On the starting issue - how about this one, the cutter is emptied of fuel, Aspen goes in....damn, filled it up a bit too much fuel cap is refitted, the compression of the cap on the fuel forces it in to the carb and passed the needle valve flooding the engine.

Operator totally unaware - damn Aspen, it won't start:cursing:

I had a saw in on Friday - exactly that, refuel and not starting - took the plug out, turned it upside down, pulled it over hard a few times. Plug heated with a gas torch, straight back in the saw, pulled over with no choke and bingo - lots of smoke and a running saw:thumbup:

How about that:thumbup:

Sounds like tha guy from Aspen is doing a fine job and has made a very positive gesture on this one.

For the record, if any customer want his machine changed over to Aspen I generally change the fuel line and fit a new carb kit. The reason - £20 of parts is nothing compared to the machine forming a fuel leak or playing up after being sent back, especially if it fails on a large job with possibly no back up saw.

Most of my work is done at a distance for guys with limited knowledge of carbs etc so my personal opinion is that it may not be 100% needed but is a way of ensuring the saw continues to run as it should and isn't just a way to charge more - I am guessing that your shop may have charged much more than £40 for 2-3 hours work and my fitting of these parts is generally part of a major refurb.

On the starting issue - how about this one, the cutter is emptied of fuel, Aspen goes in....damn, filled it up a bit too much fuel cap is refitted, the compression of the cap on the fuel forces it in to the carb and passed the needle valve flooding the engine.

Operator totally unaware - damn Aspen, it won't start:cursing:

I had a saw in on Friday - exactly that, refuel and not starting - took the plug out, turned it upside down, pulled it over hard a few times. Plug heated with a gas torch, straight back in the saw, pulled over with no choke and bingo - lots of smoke and a running saw:thumbup:

How about that:thumbup:

Yeah, I know not to fill right to the top, I left about an inch. But flooding is a problem since the Aspen went, I know that's not the fault of the Aspen, but I've had the plug over the gas twice.

The gesture from is good, from the conversation we had, without seeing the machine of course he is as baffled as me. As the problem was instant. So he wants to fix it so he can see what it was.

Again, the problem has been made worse by the dealer taking the stance he did. As Garde kit said above, he was a little short sighted, especially since I told him I wanted a new saw. Needless to say I won't be buying it there. If there is a problem with it I WILL be charged.:thumbdown: