Aerial rescue debate

Mr Oz

This is not a question directed at the OP, but a general question;

Do you trust the person/people around you to perform a fast & efficient rescue in the most difficult & challenging situations?

Do you have the mental tools to stay calm & organise yourself in crisis & self rescue or organise a rescue?

Can you & your team deal with a casualty in the worst scenarios, bleeding, screaming, crying & hurting? Do you have the training to use the kit available? (no point having an all singing &dancing Arb-Aid kit with no idea how to use it without causing more damage) Having the balls to stand there & try is all anyone could ask!!

I guess this is the check list of my perfect AR team. It might be non-realistic to some, but for me it is an achievable goal & achievable

This is so relevant

Little bit of on the job training and trusting the guys you are working with goes a long way.

Much more than having someone with 38 standing there with a harness on watching your every move. All aerial rescuers need on the job shock training to cope with reality should they be required to take action.

We need to do this more

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you 2nd man has eyes and ear view on you then its ok. When my team are on a busy job were theres loads of joe public then the rigging man ( bely man) 2nd climber will have his harness on. And stays at the base of the tree logging and tending to the ropes...

Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

Does your ariel rescuer really stand around with his harness on just in case the climber needs rescuing, which is unlikely ever to happen in his whole career?

Does your ariel rescuer really stand around with his harness on just in case the climber needs rescuing, which is unlikely ever to happen in his whole career?

good point..

i have only once done a rescue.we knew it was dodgey and i was in my harness all day from the off.:thumbup:

to be fair tho i will leave a climber unattended if i got work to do,its not rocket sciense .Prehaps the rubber necker could curl up and die some where.

good point..

i have only once done a rescue.we knew it was dodgey and i was in my harness all day from the off.:thumbup:

to be fair tho i will leave a climber unattended if i got work to do,its not rocket sciense .Prehaps the rubber necker could curl up and die some where.

What was it about the job that had you in the harness all day? What happened? How did the rescue go? You might not want to say which is cool but would love to hear more about it.

It's all down to site risk assessment. A lot of company's (not all) that I work for will put two climbers in a tree purely so one can rescue the other,

Obviously this is not possible on every job but I always access the tree on a separate line on ascenders which I leave in the tree and send the ascenders back down if the crew on the ground don't have any.

Which means none of this wearing a harness all day business, if anything I'd say wearing a harness on the ground is more of a risk than a good thing because you could snag it on branches and get pulled into a chipper etc

thanks for all replys guys i found some comment very useful for future references.Btw tree was a sycamore located in a rear garden of one of our properties and it was safe to climb but because of the position of tree it had to be sectional y dismantled so it wasnt a easy peasy job realy..:thumbup1:

When I read some of the comments I cannot believe it, "Have the aerial rescuer in his harness whilst the climber performs a dangerous procedure" or " have another climber in the tree" most of the time I work/have worked with just a brash monkey no chance of rescue, so do many people I suspect. Nothing macho just economics.

In all honesty if I really thought there was even the slightest chance I would ever need rescuing from a tree I would not climb.

Huck- you climb for yourself I believe

If you employ climbers you have a duty of care for them and have to consider these things. Should the worse happen.............

And it does.

With corporate manslaughter cases, the buck stops with everyone involved.

I admire your attitude. It's called self preservation. Theres no room for much doubt but, I'm sure if you're being honest you have had near misses. Usually in the tree you least expect.

As I understand it the rules apply to all climbers even self employed 'one man' operations.

I'm enjoying this debate. It's good to see how others cope with this issue. The idea of 2 ropes in the tree is interesting. Anyone else do this?