My log pricing this year

gensetsteve

How many cubic metres of solid timber in a cord I am guessing 2.5 - 3 . If they offer £8 a tonne I would guess it costs £25 a tonne after it lands in their yard. Around this way they are paying £25-£30 standing.

3.6 cubic metres in a cord but of course that is with air space. Harvesting and extraction is between 10 and £14 a tonne. I was paying two years ago £300 an acre for 20-year-old chestnut.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's quite easy really. If you have got to rent a yard and buy in all your timber. Don't do it.

I rented a cheap barn and some space to store timber. All was working well. Then the landlord wanted to put the rent up fourfold! Which to be fair was around the going rate. I could not make it pay in the end. So I jacked "The Logs".

still paying hundred pounds per month for yard and covered area

There may be a lot of people buying wood burning stoves, but only as a trend - the novelty soon wears off. Its romantic and cosy at first (particularly when they have the gas on as well), but soon turns into a pain.

So there may be a demand for logs, but I think its still a bit of a luxury, fueled by the idea that its cheaper than gas or oil, which its not. Stove cost, installation, logs, cleaning etc - it all adds up.

Energy prices go up - people start looking at alternatives - everyone tells them wood is cheap, it grows on trees! - so they get a stove fitted.....

The number of people who have only wood-fired heating, and thus have no choice, is very low.

We have a wood-fired system and I buy / scrounge and process cord - with the labour involved (+ chainsaw, fuel etc), it would be better for me to get an evening job in Tescos and use the money pay for oil!

Logs = not financially viable for heating at current prices. Demand will only be as a luxury item for people who haven't done the maths.

There may be a lot of people buying wood burning stoves, but only as a trend - the novelty soon wears off. Its romantic and cosy at first (particularly when they have the gas on as well), but soon turns into a pain.

So there may be a demand for logs, but I think its still a bit of a luxury, fueled by the idea that its cheaper than gas or oil, which its not. Stove cost, installation, logs, cleaning etc - it all adds up.

Energy prices go up - people start looking at alternatives - everyone tells them wood is cheap, it grows on trees! - so they get a stove fitted.....

The number of people who have only wood-fired heating, and thus have no choice, is very low.

We have a wood-fired system and I buy / scrounge and process cord - with the labour involved (+ chainsaw, fuel etc), it would be better for me to get an evening job in Tescos and use the money pay for oil!

Logs = not financially viable for heating at current prices. Demand will only be as a luxury item for people who haven't done the maths.

Very good post and I agree totally. I too use only wood for my central heating and the time I spend cutting timber each year would buy two years of oil if I worked the equivalent time in my normal job. I can earn upto £16 an hour on saturdays in my normal work but I choose to go fell timber instead. Im not keen on "normal work" though and dont see timber processing as "work" but more of a hobby.

That's interesting but I have several customers who have fitted gasification boilers and have found it cheaper than using gas. And a lot of people use it to heat one room instead of the whole house.

Did any one else see the article in the Sunday Times a few weeks ago,which

was about real fancy wood burning stoves? NO MENTION was made about logs to burn in the stoves !!! :confused1:

Then comes the biggest shock of all people who spend their time and money on equipment and petrol cutting up logs want paying.

Nice man in the stove shop said if we spend 4k on burner and install, pay back will be a year with free wood maybe a bit longer if we pay £50 for a transit load.