What wood do you want?

JLA Arborists

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Putting the rest of us to shame there; good effort.

If you ever get any catalpa keep it; it's little known for turning in this country but it's popular in the States as it's iridiscent when polished.

Funny you should mention catalpa. My parents have a lovely big Indian bean that has sadly been dying back over the last 10 years. It's getting close to the end of its life and we've discussed taking it down. The tree has been admired, climbed and enjoyed all the years I was growing up at home. If/when it does come down I will make sure every last usable scrap is saved for turning/timber. We aim to replace the tree with a new one, but the great thing about turning/woodcrafts is that the tree lives on in another form.

http://www.aatreesurgeon.co.uk

some pictures of that stuff would be appreciated, never actually seen it before.

No probs. will be a few days before I get them uploaded (iPhone wont upload to arbtalk!). I can't wait until its ready to use. Might have to artificially speed up the drying process on a smaller piece in the microwave!!

I've steadily been saving timber and cutting blanks over the past 6 months.

I've now got a really nice garage full of laburnum, judas, acacia, spalted beech/sycamore/cherry/birch, some beautiful figured cherry, eucalyptus (which smells incredible when turning it!), and yew.

Must have at least 40 decent sized laburnum bowl blanks cut and a load more spindle blanks. With a stack more of it at the yard drying. I love the colour of laburnum, its easily my favourite wood to turn with too.

Just makes me sad to think of what I've put through the chipper over the years or logged. But no longer!!

www.aatreesurgeon.co.uk

Good work for being so pro active - hope you sell it.

Ebay is worth considering - ok you will have to work out how to send but at least you have a large market. I've found it good for selling timber on - in fact I have found it the only workable method to sell timber!

:001_smile:

Good work for being so pro active - hope you sell it.

Ebay is worth considering - ok you will have to work out how to send but at least you have a large market. I've found it good for selling timber on - in fact I have found it the only workable method to sell timber!

:001_smile:

Thanks for the advice. I've sold a few bits locally to me, hoping to make it to some wood fairs next year and try to sell a few blanks and maybe some of my turning (the acid test!!).

hello all tonight was the first time i read this thread and i didnt give it a thought that wood turning was so popular i have several bits of holly, thorn, leylandi ,birch, hazel and rowan all about 2" to 4" diameter and lovely and straight and two peices of ivy that i cut today that are approx 3" diameter i will have to save anything thats going to be useful to somebody

if somebody could say what woods should be saved and sizes would be much appreciated:thumbup::thumbup:

thanks