Tips for using winching timber safely please

cessna

I am soon going to be using Farmi 501 winch to pull some wind blown Beech trees up a steep bank. Please can you give me some safety issues to look out for as I have not used a winch before . The winch will be on the back of my Massey Ferguson 4wd 380 Tractor. Are Farmi winches pretty good, I would like the 601 but more than I can affored.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well

(i) Are the trees on the ground, is there any risk, from trapped tension/compression when cutting them?

(?) I presume you are NOT intending to attempt to cut while holding a tree on the winch

(ii) How experienced or familiar are you with the tractor, on other duties.

(iii) How steep and high is the bank?

(iv) Is the ground stable and firm at the top of the bank, depending on how close to the edge you are required to work.

(v) What size chunks were you thinking of attempting to pull?

(vi)Have you a safe and secure place to stand while winching? if not seated in the tractor.

(vii) If you lose control of a log being winched, is there any third part property lying downhill of you site that could be damaged?

(viii) How experienced are you with a chainsaw?

I, me, mysel, see absolutly NO reason, not to proceed, on ones own, thinking all steps through beforehand, with escape routes planned and all possible "what ifs" considered.

When I first "played" with the Krpan 5 tonne on the DB1490, I had her stood on her end, more than once, even so it is near impossible to winch a reasonable (4tonne ish)4WD tractor over backwards, even on the high pulley.

Never stand where the rope could whip and reach you if it broke.

Being in the tractor cab can actually be the safest place, in a protected cage.

Regards,

Marcus

Assuming your winch is rope operated, all you have to do is stop pulling on the control rope.

The winch will instantly stop winching.

Some will hold on a rachett or band-brake until the other rope is pulled to release.

So basically as long as the log being winched cannot do any harm by running, sliding or falling back = no worries.

That is one reason I prefer to work alone, no risk of inadvertently injuring anyone else.

See highlighted text.

I hasten to add I am not a qualifed timber cutter, merely a 54 year old farmers son with 40 odd years experience sawing and limited but very informative recent winching experience.

Edited by difflock

I am soon going to be using Farmi 501 winch to pull some wind blown Beech trees up a steep bank. Please can you give me some safety issues to look out for as I have not used a winch before . The winch will be on the back of my Massey Ferguson 4wd 380 Tractor. Are Farmi winches pretty good, I would like the 601 but more than I can affored.

Might be worth finding someone with experience with windblow and winching to help you out for a day.