Further advice re apprentice.

leafcut

I am only doing it because he's my son, I'd not be looking for an apprentice other wise.

IME, your training up the future competent.

Competition you mean?

Yeah that is true and I am considering wether to take one this year as all they want too do is the minimum, expect pay then go elsewhere when there "qualified".

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Competition you mean?

Yeah that is true and I am considering wether to take one this year as all they want too do is the minimum, expect pay then go elsewhere when there "qualified".

Yes meant competition, thats thats dyslexia and spell check for you:001_rolleyes: I get a correctly spelt word, but it may not be the correct word:blushing::lol:

That's the problem. Trading up the future competition is a concern.

The problem is, while at college, students are continually told that all they need is a good chipper and a cheap tipper and they can earn loads of money by themselves.

They become deluded by their lecturers and finally become convinced that their employer/ mentor is making loads of profit off their sweat and toil.

Rant over. Sorry.

Sent with my iPhone from me, to you!

I have taken my son on through this scheme, its working very well for us.

Because he is only 17 the NPTC units are fully funded, so far he has done chipper, first aid, and 3 of the saw units.

I too have taken on my son on this scheme ,he is doing the level 2 trees and timber block release at Askham Bryan,everything is funded including accomodation ,travel ,food at college and all certification,he is 16 and stays on campus for 9 block weeks,the college administers the whole scheme ,the have visit us to do a H and S audit

I think it is a great scheme but does depend greatly on the candidate and their aptitude and keenness to learn ,we have had issues with apprentices in the past from our local college but that was more to do with their own commitment,28 days sick in the first 5 months is not a good start to anybody's career!!:thumbdown:

That's the problem. Trading up the future competition is a concern.

The problem is, while at college, students are continually told that all they need is a good chipper and a cheap tipper and they can earn loads of money by themselves.

They become deluded by their lecturers and finally become convinced that their employer/ mentor is making loads of profit off their sweat and toil.

Rant over. Sorry.

Sent with my iPhone from me, to you!

Lol yeah your spot on, I've had lads yhat think there going to be on 150 a day because collage tell them so!

I am going through this at the moment, my new apprentice starts tomorrow morning. 30 hours a week and 1 day at Kirkley Hall college on the level 2. Wages are actually £2.68, low enough so you dont pay tax. Our new apprentice Connor with our help will pass the level 2 in a year and a day, then onto the level 3 for 18 months.

If I had another seat in the van id be having two!

My boys 14 ATM and is adamant he's joining the firm from school.

I've tried my best to dissuade him, much better to take over his Grandads shop fitting business ( he earns five times what I do ) but he's having none of it.

I think this scheme would be ideal for him.

Anyone know the website to research it.

Not being lazy :blushing: honest.

Sent from bed using Arbtalk Mobile App

We put two lads through the trees and timber apprenticeship last year, we had to pay a couple of hundred quid and pay them. I was not that impressed with the course, nor were the lads. It was different to what is currently on offer in that they had to do days every now and then rather then every week.

Don't underestimate how expensive it is in to train guys or gals. Getting a climber to a commercial speed takes a lot of practice, with an experienced guy often watching/acting as a groundie and therefore not working/earning as they should be. The plus side is that they learn to do things your way.