After Arb

Scifon

Our mulcher driver is 74 years young. He is the most reliable bloke on the firm and no matter where we work he will be in that machine at 7am and wont leave site till 4pm. He has done this job for over 30 years and reckons he will carry on till he drops, if you look at him you would think he was 50. Another old boy still on the cards used to be a climber but same thing he still turns up every day and does all the hedges ,strimming and virtually anything you throw at him. What they dont know about this game is not worth talking about and by keeping them on they pass on a wealth of information to the nippers.

Bob

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have met older people in the trade, and as previously said, they have a better role in lower height! Mentoring, supervising, bossing and being "there" for the less abled or experienced.

My uncle, Dave Barrowcliff worked until in his late 50's and even though it was on the ground, was a very valuable member to any team. Even after "retirement" he did some logs for a couple of people snd sundry back handers around the village!

Change roles but keep doing it!

I'm 36, I don't climb everyday but I haven't noticed much slowing down/ aches n pains, I happily climb anything when subbing in for others, these days prefer to run my own jobs from the ground, think its all a balance, if I was climbing full time making other people money I think I'd be broken by now!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I got to 30 and thought do I want to be climbing at 40 and will I be capable.....hmm what about when I'm 50....hmm? I then applied for and got into the police.......hmmm I now do Arb and logs to subsidise my ever decreasing salary!! Believe it or not joining the police was financially the worst move I ever made so I'm now still climbing just not full time!!!

Arbo-cop!

Just what are you doing about arb related thefts then?:sneaky2:

Come on, give us the low down!:laugh1:

Ty

Personally, I find a days hedge trimming- particularly big hedges just as knackering as a days climbing.

+1 Indeed.

The only thing that aches after a full day in the saddle can be my legs. Thats only if I've been on spikes all day. Cramps!

After a few days hedgecutting I'm aching in my forearms and neck. Also aching to get back into a tree.

And I'm almost 25 now! :thumbup:

Our collegue Auld Rab is 64.

A former London Borough tree officer.

Grounds for us a couple of days, does a few quotes, trade shows, handles the work experience lads and tickles the saws in the workshop.

Teaches us loads, couldn't be without him.

As for climbing, those who do in the business normally share the work load so no-one get's too knackered. I did this morning and Seb all afternoon.

That's the way forward I believe.

For us, we're not pure arb but also take on general landscaping works as well as work as approved tradesmen for the French side of B&Q putting up sheds, fences and awnings mainly over the summer months.

There are always stumps too, not too physical either.

Plenty for the older arb to be getting along with.

Ty

My old man is 61 and still the hardest worker on site, he shows all the younger guys how it's done! I got a small tree hung up the other day and he comes over to help me, I say don't worry I will cut it out, no he says I got this and he throws himself up in the air in a move that any wrestler would have been proud of and smashes it to the ground! I was chuckling all day!