Shoulder surgery

Taupotreeman

I'm with Huck on this, intricate things are shoulders, & I would want to exhaust all non invasive options before going under the knife.

+1. Did a lot of research in to shoulder ops two years ago, power lift suffer mass shoulder problems looked and read up on what they do instead of having a op may be worth a look.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can you swim?that will sort the rotation if you can,learn to work with the other arm and change the way you walk,stand move etc.I smashed my elbow and to this day it still hurts but it works.I also saw the otherway round as much as possible and focus on the ballance of turns etc,...

like turn and drag 3 times right handed the followed by left handed.It takes a while but the brain will soon work it out.

I've had key hole surgery on my left shoulder (left handed too) due to only been able to lift arm 20% sometimes not as all. Remove bone spurs, release tendon tension by cutting a z in, subacromial impingement to which they basically make more room so they don't rub together and don't become inflamed., inflamed bursa. There where a few other things but can't remember tbh :001_rolleyes:(old age).

I too went through physio first but until these things where done then I was fighting a loosing battle due to everything always been inflamed. 3-6 weeks healing time due to the open wounds and tendon healing then physio can be between 3-6mths depending how strict you are, but don't over do it.

During that time you can go back on light duties, now my left shoulder moves 100% in fact better range of movement than my right shoulder.

Imo i would have the surgery as it sounds like you can't move on until you do, at the moment it can only get worse, more pain and damage.

I dislocated my shoulder badly 30 yrs ago, and didn't take care of it/do any physio after it came out of a sling due to work commitments. I ended up having recurrent dislocations over 5 yrs before I had an operation to sort it. Trouble was I hadn't learned my lesson and after I came out of 8 weeks in a plaster jacket holding my arm to my chest I again didn't really do any physio (again due to pressure of work). I can still do most stuff (rock climbing and fencing included) but wouldn't trust it to play squash or tennis and it's never been as strong as the other.

The (long winded) message is if you can't get yourself to do physio etc before going through the op, it's probably not worth having the op as any recovery is going to be dependent on being disciplined with the physio and training afterwards... have a good think about why you're not doing the physio now before you go any further

Imo surgery is the way forward. Never had shoulder issues but had ops on both knees.

I've always come out far better than I've gone in. If the op your thinking of is keyhole then recovery will be very quick with little physio needed. If not keyhole you have to be far more commitee to your recovery.

It's down to you to decide but IME physios are under qualified and have always made my problems worse pre surgery. Post surgery there ok.

Have you had full mri scan on the shoulder?