what 4x4

finch

We had 3 300tdi over about 8 years for towing. They all suffered with head gasket failure between pots 3 and 4, cambelts snapping and water pumps were cheap and nasty with one little bearing. Every time they needed discs the bearings had to come off and no guts for towing at 70mph.

The speed limit for towing is 60 mph so point not really valid !

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I should have said 70 showing on the dash and all Landrover speedos show 10mph more than your doing it, massages their customers egos you know

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going back to the original post of what 4X4 . The **** fest that ensued was based around personal preference of the said vehicles. I am not going to side here because most of the trucks have their virtues but below I will list the 4x4`s and the problems we have had along with a note about what I personally like about that truck. We still run the stuff below.

1.Mitzi L200 double cab. Its had two engines, 1 clutch and one new cylinder head in 200,000 km. Great towing truck, very comfy and quiet but I find it undergeared for long motorway driving, its revving quite hard at 70mph and is heavy on fuel .Load space to far behind the axle to be a weight carrier.

2. Isuzu trooper commercial. Its had an engine, alternator and gearbox replaced inside 150,000 miles. Fantastic tow truck and reliable, decent cruising speed . Downside is off road mud gets into stuff and wrecks mechanical components. Example of this is the rear handbrake system which is brake shoes operating inside of the rear discs, one dose of mud plugging and its stuffed along with all the other tin plates underneath that act as a plough.

3. Ford ranger double cab. Its had a gearbox and will be on its second clutch inside 120,000 miles, also seems to need constant attention to front suspension bushes. Great engine but its all a bit soft on the front , tows well and is good on fuel.

4. Vauxhall Brava. No mechanical failures whatsoever . Gutless engine so hopeless at towing but very good on fuel ( best of the lot). Very hard sprung on the back but soft on the front. Eats tyres and spares like rear lenses and other body parts are expensive. Same as Mitzi in that it revs to high at motorway speeds. Good tough truck which is really a re badged Isuzu.

5. Freelander commercial td4. one of them has had a clutch and thats about it, good cheap to run 4x4 van, Against is the amount of plastic bits that get ripped off and the lack of ground clearance when on site. Will only tow a light trailer.

6 .90 and 110 both been reasonable, both had clutches and one has had a transfer box. The doors are shite as is the driving position, uncomfy and I would only use them locally. Good tow barge and good on fuel, excellent off road, there is a tendency for the nippers to give them undue amounts of abuse when working in the woods.

7. Disco commercial. One has had a gearbox and the other has done an engine. The things are to high geared to move a heavy trailer on a hill start but do make a good 4x4 to cart fuel and tools to the jobs. Fast quiet,good on fuel and comfy. ( I rate these , the dead one is in the workshop getting a big foot makeover :))

8. Hilux tipper. one clutch and thats it. Gutless uncomfy boney old ride but ultra reliable and good on fuel.

9. Iveco 4X4 , dont know because its not been used yet.

10. RR sport , the nuts :)

Bob

Well looking at the list by aspen arb, number 8 has had the less work done to it so I'm sticking by hilux for now,personally I had a choice hilux or lr de fender,

I chose the hilux because I have rear seats for my tools, it's ok on fuel (one of the best I would say mate has a l200, another mate has a navara ) and it's better than then!!

Good ride, and so far ultra reliable, I've covered 10,000 miles in my mk5 hilux since April and all it's needed was a set if front pads !

The reason I didn't go for a lr was I do a lot of shooting/ hunting so have had the chance to drive a few, yes they may be good off-road and tow well but my god they are crap to drive!

The key is on the wrong side and turns the wrong way, the heater is poo, you have to then with the window open because the steering wheels are so big you wack your arm on the do window else !!

But each to there own I've been working in st Austell today (180 mile round trip)

I personally wouldn't like to do that journey in a landy defender , but there we go, hope this helps a bit

Josh