Towing restrictions.

John Hancock

C1+E is the minimum required. However, to get there he needs to do C1, followed by C1+E, so one theory test, followed by two practical tests.

The two practical tests are the same tests as for category C and C+E, so if you can swing it, I would suggest you get him through those instead, as he will then have a full HGV licence, which would be potentially useful to both the council and employee.

I have done C+E, its not easy but with the right tuition anyone should be able to pass. To get through both tests will cost around £2000.

You need to get in touch with your local LGV training companies, they are usually very helpful and will arrange the licence application, medical, and theory test, before booking him in for 2-3 days training before each practical test.

thats we now do aswell go the whole hog and the lads that have done the b+e really struggled and doing the full lgv is more straight forward and hardly any more money and more fun than the C+E so we put lads through the full LGV now

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can be done for capability to break weight restrictions!!

if youve a licence with only 750kg trailer on it, and are driving a vehicle, towing or not, with a tow bar rated at more than 750kg, you can be done for having the potential to exceed youre licence!! :scared1:

I have been driving the MEWP at work which is 7.5 tonne chasis, but runs on red diesel, no tacho and no MOT etc, but i am not sure if this is legal!? Surely i still need a C1 licence? My boss thinks not, he says its classed as plant, so away i drive each week.

I believe that your boss is correct, but you are not allowed to use a vehicle registered as plant to carry goods.

So don't be tempted to chuck a couple of logs in the back.

if youve a licence with only 750kg trailer on it, and are driving a vehicle, towing or not, with a tow bar rated at more than 750kg, you can be done for having the potential to exceed youre licence!! :scared1:

I know, I questioned a bloke at the DVLA about this using the comparison that my car is capable of 150mph so am I therefore commiting an offence by driving a car capable of exceeding the speed limit. He agreed with me the towing law is so flawed it is unbelievable and it would ultimately boil down to a judges common sence if anything ever went to court.

I know, I questioned a bloke at the DVLA about this using the comparison that my car is capable of 150mph so am I therefore commiting an offence by driving a car capable of exceeding the speed limit. He agreed with me the towing law is so flawed it is unbelievable and it would ultimately boil down to a judges common sence if anything ever went to court.

a judge with common sense you'll tell me hens have teeth next

Ive been happily illegally towing for the last eight years!!!

Ive booked and paid for training and a C test followed by C1 and sat and passed the theory but wont get the chance to book the time off for the training and test till the late autumn.

The whole thing is a heap of utter bolocks and a money maker for the DVLA.