Being prepared "just in case" something goes wrong.

Andy Collins

Such an incident occurred the other day. Simple job, brush cut brambles back along hedge and trim the hedge. No need for two of us, a one man job. I virtually got right along the length of the hedge, some 400m with the brushcutter, when I felt a slight thump on my forearm. Didn't really worry about it until I glanced down and saw my blood pumping profusely. Oh dear, I think, what a thing to happen. So I stop the machine, apply pressure to the wound and elevate said limb.

Now for the preparedness issues. I had a mobile phone in my right pocket, but couldn't reach across with my left hand to get it. I had a wound dressing in my right rear pocket, again, same issue. I daren't let go of the wound to unfasten brush cutter. I had visions of bleeding out in the middle of nowhere, unable to get to help. I was 1/4mile from the nearest house. I got to my first aid kit, (Arb Aid) and let go enough to open it, no mean feat with your wrong hand, and got out the tourniquet, and dressed the wound. I then got to the nearest house where there was a chap working and told him what I'd done and to keep an eye while I re-dressed the wound. It was fine. I carried on home, re-dressed it again with steri-strips and a bandage. Three hours later it blew out and I peed blood everywhere like a stuck pig. Time for A&E and stitches.

Lessons learned, it was a freak incident, the wound is about 3mm long, but in an artery. Keep a personal wound dressing where it can be reached, same with phone, make sure you can get to help somehow, and think through incase you're the victim. It doesn't always have to be a massive chainsaw wound, or spinal injury, but a simple little flesh wound in e wrong place at the wrong time can cause you serious problems.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Such an incident occurred the other day. Simple job, brush cut brambles back along hedge and trim the hedge. No need for two of us, a one man job. I virtually got right along the length of the hedge, some 400m with the brushcutter, when I felt a slight thump on my forearm. Didn't really worry about it until I glanced down and saw my blood pumping profusely. Oh dear, I think, what a thing to happen. So I stop the machine, apply pressure to the wound and elevate said limb.

Now for the preparedness issues. I had a mobile phone in my right pocket, but couldn't reach across with my left hand to get it. I had a wound dressing in my right rear pocket, again, same issue. I daren't let go of the wound to unfasten brush cutter. I had visions of bleeding out in the middle of nowhere, unable to get to help. I was 1/4mile from the nearest house. I got to my first aid kit, (Arb Aid) and let go enough to open it, no mean feat with your wrong hand, and got out the tourniquet, and dressed the wound. I then got to the nearest house where there was a chap working and told him what I'd done and to keep an eye while I re-dressed the wound. It was fine. I carried on home, re-dressed it again with steri-strips and a bandage. Three hours later it blew out and I peed blood everywhere like a stuck pig. Time for A&E and stitches.

Lessons learned, it was a freak incident, the wound is about 3mm long, but in an artery. Keep a personal wound dressing where it can be reached, same with phone, make sure you can get to help somehow, and think through incase you're the victim. It doesn't always have to be a massive chainsaw wound, or spinal injury, but a simple little flesh wound in e wrong place at the wrong time can cause you serious problems.

Good advice as ever Andy: the bit about keeping the phone on you is a virtual must as the technology's there but when I nearly needed it a while ago it was 50 yards away in the pickup because it's a bloody great lump that doesn't fit any phone pocket - a Blackberry in an Otterbox. When I change phones in the future I'm going back to a Samsung tough phone.

Hope the vessel heals up OK. Were you deliberately avoiding detail about how your injury happened?

Nasty one Andy. I've had a forearm arterial bleed myself, pretty scary stuff! Mine was from the most pathetic looking puncture wound, but was gushing so hard I daren't let go of it to get of my dressing which was reachable in my knee pocket with either hand. Luckily the guys I was with were on the ball and had the FA kit out ready as soon as I got to them and sorted it out for me.

Heal quick mate, if it's anything like mine, you'll have a dead arm for a week or so.

I never carry a first aid kit on me, it's always in my bag. If I'm logging and stacking I carry nothing in my pockets at all cause it just gets wreaked in minutes. Glad ur ok though, arterial spray is pretty gross to see squirting out all black like that, making me feel faint thinking about it :(