Mystery tropical hardwood identification

Big J

Was hoping one of you might be able to help identify this timber.

I had a customer drop it off for one of their customers. Seemed like it had sat round their garden for years and they finally wanted to do something with it.

With the weight of it, I assumed it would be brutally hard and didn't dare band mill it. Chain milled it today and on an 11 inch cut it was slower than on a 22 inch cut through dense Yew.

Never milled a heavier timber, and a small offcut demonstrated it's density by sinking like a stone when dropped into water (and that's with the timber bone dry).

I have no idea what it is, but would be very keen to find out! Many thanks in advance!

DSCF0020_zps134b0a07.jpg

DSCF0019_zpsc68aa64f.jpg

DSCF0018_zpsd38102e6.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going by weight, hard as hell, denser than water makes me think Greenheart but never seen it cut with the grain, always been across the grain so hard to tell for sure.

... But I'd guess Greenheart. We cut lot of it along with Purpleheart, Ekki etc and it has to be TCT blade for that stuff, chainsawing it is very hard going!

just let me say that i know my woods however this one does have me stumped...

its not greenheart thats for sure. for the last hour i've been racking my brain and keep geting this naging feeling that it's a rosewood but i've neer seeon a rosewood that colour before.

the only thing i've ever seen look anything like it is on the picture below. that is cocobolo which is usualy a redish colour but can be purplish too.

although unlikely it is possible for cocobolo to be that colour and it looks like a log that has had the sap hewn clean off before being shipped.

if you take away the colour in the pictured log the grain looks incredibly similar in my opinion and may well be that it is cocobolo but without a sample it is impossible for me to tell 100%

5976660aa386b_cocobolo20costa20rican20120s10020web.jpg.2d413c5f3a247676c27c5d28ea052085.jpg