Love Of Trees - Optional Or Not?

Landscape Hub

As a website dedicated to all things arboricultural, would you say a love of trees is a requirement to work in this industry or optional?

Was an interest in trees what got you into the profession in the first place, have you grown to admire them since or frankly are they of little interest, (other than a source of income) ?

Sometimes this type of topic can get emotive, this one's not meant to be, it would just be interesting to hear people's perspective on trees in general and their interest, (or not) in them.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got into the industry not for a love of trees but as I couldn't get a job in engineering. Once I saw the first climber up a 30m ash tree I knew what I wanted to do!

When I first started climbing I would have done any work to a tree regardless of the impact on the tree, that has definitely changed over the years. I'd say the more you work with them the more you appreciate them, I enjoy the work and they're 'the work.'

I got in to trees as I was leaving teaching outdoor pursuits for something new. and at the time I liked the work.

machinery, having to be alert etc etc. I can not sit behind a desk for very long.

then my passion grew from the people who taught me and its getting to a point like arran said career rather than job.

where I love my work and I'm in the happiest place*home life included that I have ever been

I care less now then when I first started. I feel I've gotten more professional, but at the same time more realistic, this is just a job to me a living to be made by my skill and knowledge. I prefer not to carry out bad work and am fortunate enough that the majority of those I work for do good work, but every now and then I do very questionable down right shoddy work, does it affect me? No! As long as my mortgage is paid I sleep well, you cannot save every tree and you cannot educate everyone on good practice.

I care less now then when I first started. I feel I've gotten more professional, but at the same time more realistic, this is just a job to me a living to be made by my skill and knowledge. I prefer not to carry out bad work and am fortunate enough that the majority of those I work for do good work, but every now and then I do very questionable down right shoddy work, does it affect me? No! As long as my mortgage is paid I sleep well, you cannot save every tree and you cannot educate everyone on good practice.

:congrats::congrats: