Stihl 4mix kombi engine

L200

I thought that my engine died today as it didn't want to start.

I have two of these so I swapped spark plugs, checked air filter and nothing.

Cranking up for 10min and nothing

Moments ago I checked it again ( it cooled down as its been few hours

Since then ) and boom is starts up first time.

Temporary fault ? But what could it be?

Don't want it again as its disappointing and embarrassing...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that my engine died today as it didn't want to start.

I have two of these so I swapped spark plugs, checked air filter and nothing.

Cranking up for 10min and nothing

Moments ago I checked it again ( it cooled down as its been few hours

Since then ) and boom is starts up first time.

Temporary fault ? But what could it be?

Don't want it again as its disappointing and embarrassing...

Possible compression issue but likely to be the valve clearences or auto decomp, these engines are not the easiest to work on and are a mare if they play up - good luck with it.........I would never have anything other than two stroke small engine saws, trimmers, strimmers etc:lol:

I was told the other day that these engines are supposed to go back to Stihl for valve resetting at ~1 year old. Can anyone confirm/deny? It certainly seems that such word is not widely known.

Mine only started playing up when it was a year old?? Might be something in that.

Sent from Outerspace.

Air filters get soaked in fuel when layed down( air filter downward on floor ) and they don't start, happened to me too many times. Them 4 mix are piece of ****.

Make sure it's always sitting upright, and someone on here said to me always have spare air filters so if it happens u can change it over.

Stihl f*cked up big time with these. It was a complicated design attempt to meet the new emmisions standards.

They now claim that if you use their super duper fully synthetic two stroke oil then it's not an issue. Personally I think that's bollocks and the damage to their reputation is done anyway.

Two mix engines are much better than four mix and have been proven for the last two years in the larger clearing saws and small blowers. Superb engines all round really.

As soon as they sell all their stock of 4-mix, I'd imagine they'll bring out a 2-mix combi unit. Until then, I'd sell yours on eBay with a 'possible carb fault' and buy an old school two stroke to tide you over.

Or possibly an FS70- it's a new 2-mix strimmer- flexi shaft only but I think the shaft size and profile is the same as those used on earlier machines. It's certainly an inch tube. I've currently got one on order and will report back. Possibly the engine will drop straight on a solid shaft FS85. Having said that, flexi drive is OK for strimming and hedgecutting.

HTH

Mine only started playing up when it was a year old?? Might be something in that.

Sent from Outerspace.

They changed the carb to cylinder inlet on the newer models ... I don't know why as the newer ones soak the filter unless upright .

I put the newer model carb on an old engine after my new one dropped a valve and destroyed the engine after a years use and it was only ever run on aspen... It was fine until I replace the inlet boot thing because it broke with the newer type and now its incontinant , not good on a clients lawn!