Undercut by a pro today

Shane

I was called to price up the removal and stump grinding of a pittosporum today by an existing customer.

Went round and figured small quotes for removal/grinding as she is already a customer and does a lot of work for the same place we do discounted rates.

She said she has a 'friend' with a chainsaw who can cut it down but would I do the stump for the agreed price if the 'friend' cut the pitto down.

I dropped by on the way home and the friend was there already.

He was wearing a pair of trainers, a pair of shorts, and a pair of glasses and was swinging a McCulloch petrol saw about. I guess he must have been 60+

I had to laugh, I stopped and congratulated him on his lightweight PPE and went on my way. It was funny seeing him loading it all onto his 4ft x 3ft Erde trailer. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I had only heard about these people on here but now I've seen one.:thumbup1:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two people locally doing Gardening and "easy" tree work for the the sum of £91 a day.......for 2, how do I know? My step father employees them to do bit and pieces...... £91!!! where does the £1 come from?

That's inflation for you, it was only £90 last year and will be £92 next year!:thumbup1:

i quoted a hedge cutting job 2 weeks ago it was a reasonable price £120 for 5 hours trimming and taking a trailer load away didn't get the job, i was working across the road today and 2 "pros" in there vests and transit van with an Irish twang cutting the conifer hedge top and sides with chainsaws totally butchered the poor hedge! just got home a message from the wife the lady wants me to quote to tidy the hedge up i think not!

i quoted a hedge cutting job 2 weeks ago it was a reasonable price £120 for 5 hours trimming and taking a trailer load away didn't get the job, i was working across the road today and 2 "pros" in there vests and transit van with an Irish twang cutting the conifer hedge top and sides with chainsaws totally butchered the poor hedge! just got home a message from the wife the lady wants me to quote to tidy the hedge up i think not!

Do you mean you won't price tidying the hedge up ?

Tesco BASICS range of garden services...:001_tongue:

Honestly, I 'could' send a man out for a mere 15euros per hour but for that he wouldn't work very hard nor climb or possess anything more than a spade and a pair of secateurs.:001_rolleyes:

Everything else is an added extra, chipper+truck, climbers, taller hedges, stumps...etc.:thumbup:

In France, we call guys with saloon cars and wee trailers who garden work Ten Euro's Dave's.

Ty

I would give her a price for the tidy up but tell her she will have to wait 2 to 3 weeks till you have a space in your diary. That way she will have dozens of opportunities of being reminded that cheap quotes from the mobile tree cutting and landscaping community ultimately cost you more!

Next time hopefully she will accept your quote and bypass the other mob. You could also take some photos of their job, and yours after, for your website as examples of bad and good practice.

Honestly, I 'could' send a man out for a mere 15euros per hour but for that he wouldn't work very hard nor climb or possess anything more than a spade and a pair of secateurs.:001_rolleyes:

Everything else is an added extra, chipper+truck, climbers, taller hedges, stumps...etc.:thumbup:

In France, we call guys with saloon cars and wee trailers who garden work Ten Euro's Dave's.

Ty

Ty

Is there an echo in here? :001_tongue: