Does firewood actually dry in cord form?!!!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But round wood could be rings. With the term cordwood it puts a stack of timber in lengths in mind.

Pre mills, timber was sawn in the woods so there was no roundwood haulage; hence all the hauliers here do "roundwood and sawn timber haulage".

Folks I work with in the forestry call it roundwood (including everything - log, chip, firewood, pulp, bars, posts, stakes etc); cord as arby folks call it to us is just "firewood" roundwood... :laugh1:

Pre mills, timber was sawn in the woods so there was no roundwood haulage; hence all the hauliers here do "roundwood and sawn timber haulage".

Folks I work with in the forestry call it roundwood (including everything - log, chip, firewood, pulp, bars, posts, stakes etc); cord as arby folks call it to us is just "firewood" roundwood... :laugh1:

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

It deffo does I've just cut a load of larch and MC cord which has been sitting in my yard for about 18 months and was prob dropped about 6 months prior o me stacking it. I ringed and split it and inside its about 20-23% straight away for sale....

Thats interesting. May I ask the length/diameter of the logs and did you have them covered?

I have a stack of timber that I use on the home fires. I have it in the yard and it is in 2.4 meter lengths straight from the forest, delivered in on a wagon. I am always ahead of the last delivery by a year. I have an ex grain lorry sheet over this years delivery as there's quite a lot of Birch in the load to stop the rain getting in and the rot getting hold. I let the wind do the drying as I haven't the space for storing it all bagged yet.

By the time I've processed it is ready for the fire, obviously the last bag is better than the first bag as it has been stored split and has dried that little bit more. It's like the last few logs in the pile by the fire, they burn just that little bit better.

I have some willow that I cut out of a private garden with a professional climber, in April, nearby. I ringed this to aid drying and to stop it sprouting! I have not burned willow before and have always taken the same rather sniffy attitude that everyone has about willow.....It's awful......

Well to be perfectly honest I've become a willow fan and would never turn it down now as I have found out that it is a brilliant timber to burn. Particularly right now when the weather is mild and you need to keep the fire going but not produce much heat but be alight. The second bit is the wonderful smell that comes from a smouldering piece if this timber, mmmmm, lovely! It is a lovely smouldering burn a bit like a joss-stick.

codlasher.

:confused1:

My take on this is that cordwood is used by Americans/Canadians as a unit of measurement, Dave NE

No - that's a 'cord'. Or it's variants 'face cord', 'kitchen cord', 'mains cord', etc.

Cordwood is strictly wood stacked by the cord. But is often also used to mean "firewood-grade timber". And on here it seems to mean the starting point for processing into logs.