Chipper advise

Orchard gm

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timberwolf tell you too change the bearings every 250 HRS for god sake, no other leading manufacturer uses choco bearings and ally fan blades that snap off

I have never changed a bearing or chipped a fan blade on any of my machines.

500 hrs is crap for an industrial machine bearing, timberwolf do this as it brings a lot of work for there dealers......fact as one even told me at the aa show !!!!!

I have used plenty and would never own one.

New 250 I would happly buy..

Good for you, I'm quite happy with my machine. Each to their own.

Sent from Outerspace.

Exactly, I don't have the money to change so the better the devil you know.

Sent from Outerspace.

In fairness to tw alot is down to how there looked after, they do chip well no doubt and you seem to look after your kit so yes I can see why you like them.

Im yearning for a bandit 75 dont know why though !!!!!

Orchard it's down to budget really. Depends on size of stuff your dealing with and your set up. do you intend to chip into a tipper and remove? A six inch machine is great but only if your doing bigger jobs otherwise you may be better off with smaller machine. Timber wolf are good machines mine chipped well but everything broke inc engine despite looking after it. I ve now got a Jensen and would not go back.

Try looking at arborcut, arbrep services or contacting redwoods they have ex demos and a wide range of second hand machines or tarted up ones.

It's easier to find good second hand machines now than when I was looking for my first chipper. Buy the best you can afford and that's most suitable for you and your work.

Also have a look at arb trader and e arborist

Thanks for the advice, are they the type of thing that could cost a total fortune if things go wrong? I am a time served car mechanic also so would I be able to do a lot of maintenance etc myself?

If you're a mechanic then get something second hand. Chippers are essentially very simple machines. You obviously know your way around engines, so they are self explanatory. As long as you understand that chippers have moving knives (attached to the disk or drum) that cut against fixed knives, and that both sets of knives need to have sharp edges set a fixed distance apart (approx 1 - 1.5mm is a good benchmark) there is little to go wrong. The flywheel or drum rotates fast and therefore should be balanced (not vibrating) and the bearings should be quiet in operation. Any belts should obviously run in line and be in sound condition.

Chipper hydraulics are also very straight forward - there is usually an engine driven pump that runs through a spool block and provides drive to one or two hydraulic motors. Issues can arise with any stress control devices, which are designed to cut the hydraulic supply to these rollers as the engine speed drops (to prevent the machine stalling). Stress control boxes can be very expensive to repair/replace, but can usually be bypassed easily and the machine run without them.

The 2 biggest issues you will face if looking at second hand machines is firstly guaranteeing their provenance (ie not stolen etc) and secondly knowing if they meet current health and safety guidelines. The H and S guidelines are important if you are going to let other people use your machine.

If you are considering a particular machine speak to the manufacturer with the serial number (if this isn't available walk away immediately!) and they should be able to provide you with relevant info.

If you're a mechanic then get something second hand. Chippers are essentially very simple machines. You obviously know your way around engines, so they are self explanatory. As long as you understand that chippers have moving knives (attached to the disk or drum) that cut against fixed knives, and that both sets of knives need to have sharp edges set a fixed distance apart (approx 1 - 1.5mm is a good benchmark) there is little to go wrong. The flywheel or drum rotates fast and therefore should be balanced (not vibrating) and the bearings should be quiet in operation. Any belts should obviously run in line and be in sound condition.

Chipper hydraulics are also very straight forward - there is usually an engine driven pump that runs through a spool block and provides drive to one or two hydraulic motors. Issues can arise with any stress control devices, which are designed to cut the hydraulic supply to these rollers as the engine speed drops (to prevent the machine stalling). Stress control boxes can be very expensive to repair/replace, but can usually be bypassed easily and the machine run without them.

The 2 biggest issues you will face if looking at second hand machines is firstly guaranteeing their provenance (ie not stolen etc) and secondly knowing if they meet current health and safety guidelines. The H and S guidelines are important if you are going to let other people use your machine.

If you are considering a particular machine speak to the manufacturer with the serial number (if this isn't available walk away immediately!) and they should be able to provide you with relevant info.

Thank you for your reply monkey business!!

I will stick up for Timberwolf as I love em, I've had 2 and would recommend them. If you look after them and you maintain them well then you will get years of use from it. Yes there are other machines out there that people say are better etc but I can't comment on these as I've never used anything other than Timberwolf.

Sent from Outerspace.

My point exactly.

I rest my case.

😂😘

Sent with my iPhone from me, to you!