MS200T carb problem

Marc

Skyhuck, mattyf I do agree to some extent, nothing beats a fresh 200T.

And my newer 200T has seen some abuse so its maybe worth just relegating it to back up or pruning saw.

Its just my other old saw is pucker and never lets me down or misses a beat, o.k it may not quite have that fresh grunt, but kept sharp and well maintained it performs more than adeqeutly.

I can think of better ways to spend £370 on a new 200T every year (all are tax deductable).

My gripe here is a new saw going wrong due to a Stihl quality fault, maybe I should just let it go.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Marc,just a thought could you put the carb of you're older saw on you're newer one then you would benefit from more compression of the less worn pot and piston,you could keep the rest of the old saw for spares,with reference to tax normally on gear like saws they right down for tax over 4 years,but i think if you change annually it is more like a consumable and can be written of for tax in the one year, i not 100% but think so, regards Dave

Marc,just a thought could you put the carb of you're older saw on you're newer one then you would benefit from more compression of the less worn pot and piston,you could keep the rest of the old saw for spares,with reference to tax normally on gear like saws they right down for tax over 4 years,but i think if you change annually it is more like a consumable and can be written of for tax in the one year, i not 100% but think so, regards Dave

Very good Idea!

If you have a old carb, put new membranes in it and give it a kiss before mounting. Does wonders with a bit love!

Since Magnus reminded me of this thread, I thought i'd post some pics of the troublesome carb, if you notice the place where the accelerator pump should be has a brass blanking cap over it, so do this model carb on the latest 200t's still have an accel pump?

I'm guessing if it does then its not designed to be replaced.

My MS250 has also developed similar symptoms, I have taken this apart and again traced the issue back to the carb, which also has an accelertor pump which is made of brass, where the cam operates the pump, it has been ever so slightly worn, i'm going to replace it and see if this resolves the problem.

I'm also starting to think maybe the way I look after my saws could be to blame? Maybe the fact I DO look after my saws is the problem, I maybe should start not caring.

5976531d26399_Marcfone-0020.jpg.3d58ef88075f2d9808948c50a329bb45.jpg

5976531d24492_Marcfone-0019.jpg.ad6a7224ec90473227a90e8e078f1ba5.jpg

I think stihl has some serious issues.... one dealer i use who is more leaning to husky showed me a box of stihl carbs mostly 200ts that were under a year old that had been replaed under warrenty and told me they had changed there factory hence why they where rubbish.

my other dealer says thats crap they have been just redisighned becouse no one looks after them,the case that most people i know clean there filters daily or every other seems irelivant to stihl then....personally i think if you cant maintain a saw you should not be using one.

braught a new hs 81 last month ,the first stihl ive braught this year that has not had to go back for a new carb after a few tanks.but no new carb for the 81 the breather just fell off and squirted me with petrol all day instead.....

MattyF thats what I don't get, I do look after my saws, once a week I get all the covers off and clean the fins, check spark plug, clean filters, heck I even clean behind the carb. I even keep a maintenance check list.

I know my 200t may look grubby in the pic but thats just due to working in the rain and such

Generally I keep my saws in good order, but i'm not so anal as to clean the plastic.

Yet i've had no end of problem with my new climbing saw and new MS250.

I know guys who don't look after there saws and they get trouble free running, and some who get the carb issue.

Maintenance does'nt seem to be the issue here, I started to look after the saws at one place I worked at and those saws were some of the dirtiest abused Stihl's you will ever find. Yet generally they stood the abuse and ran trouble free.

Not saying you should'nt look after your saws, I just found that Stihl take mistreating very well in my observations.

Basically my point here is Stihl have a rep for making robust contracting tools, but I can't help but feel something has slipped on the latest carbs. This is a quality control issue not maintenance.

• 1 month later...

I had exactly the same problem with my 200T. Brand new and 2 months down the line it started playing up. No amount of adjustment made any difference. It would rev and die as if it was running out of fuel all the time.

Called Stihl technical. They were not helpful. They did say however that they had a problem with some of the carbs on the newer saws. He said the dealers were aware of the problem and send it back and it would be done under warranty. They weren't sorry or anything for the inconvenience of not having the saw for a few weeks. I sent it back and upon it's return it's been fine ever since.

You think of Stihl and you think of solid German engineering and manufacture but most of the components are made abroad.....

Rob D

i can understand that you're a bit P***ed off, but at least Stihl told you they had a problem and were willing and would resolve it under warranty.

I can give you a list of other manufactures as long as your arm that would tell you there was no problem when quite clearly there was.