New Stihl Policy

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's about having the choice to use which dealer you prefer not being forced to use one

Stihl are trying to protect their dealer network by forcing people to use them. I prefer the natural selection method myself if my local dealer is good I will use him, if he is crap I won't, price isn't always a determining factor with me, turnaround speed and part availability is

It's about having the choice to use which dealer you prefer not being forced to use one

Stihl are trying to protect their dealer network by forcing people to use them. I prefer the natural selection method myself if my local dealer is good I will use him, if he is crap I won't, price isn't always a determining factor with me, turnaround speed and part availability is

Exactly.

Why won't you say where you are from?

Probably because he's one of those crap dealers who won't budge from rrp, take 2weeks to fit aload of new parts but still not fix a saw, and carry no stock....the dealers this policy actually helps get custom they don't deserve!

This policy helps the dealers with the local domestic market, and probabaly helps the domestic user. the professional users however are left peed off and looking at husqvarna for future purchases

I have roughly £5-6k in stihl products, I use them all for my business.

Just ordered my usual load of bits, filters, chains, bars, blades, files etc etc on ebay and mister solutions.

The two local Stihl dealers to me (both within 10 miles) are idiots. I wouldn't let them fit a new handle to a rake.

If stihl don't fix this I will not buy any thing else from them. It would be very simple.

If you have an account with a shop and you are a business, then you can have products delivered. Everyone else has to stick to the policy.

Does Stihl America have the same policy?

Ive read this thread from beginning to this point. How many of you only use one saw? How many of you are really that dependent on the immediacy of next day delivery? Every time? I run several saws, split 50/50 Stihl/Husky. For my own convenience, I make up a shopping list before I go to the dealer, if files are running low, I buy boxes of each, I buy and carry spare "wear" items that are most likely to need replacement. I cant cater for everything, and I dont, but if the worst happens and say the 357 goes out of action, I have enough kit to carry on until its fixed.

I was "anti" this policy from the beginning, but in all fairness, it has not affected me on iota, just plan ahead, keep spares by you, its how it was back in the day, when you couldnt ring the dealer til the end of the day cos you didnt have a mobile then.

Do I think its a short-sighted policy... I think we will see more and more go out to protect their network of dealerships against the internet invasion, do we really wish to see our local friendly dealer disappear off the street like the butchers, fishmongers and candlestick makers. I dont.

PS, the internet was great while it lasted, I loved the convenience of it, but times change, sometimes not as we would like to see it.

Ive read this thread from beginning to this point. How many of you only use one saw? How many of you are really that dependent on the immediacy of next day delivery? Every time? I run several saws, split 50/50 Stihl/Husky. For my own convenience, I make up a shopping list before I go to the dealer, if files are running low, I buy boxes of each, I buy and carry spare "wear" items that are most likely to need replacement. I cant cater for everything, and I dont, but if the worst happens and say the 357 goes out of action, I have enough kit to carry on until its fixed.

I was "anti" this policy from the beginning, but in all fairness, it has not affected me on iota, just plan ahead, keep spares by you, its how it was back in the day, when you couldnt ring the dealer til the end of the day cos you didnt have a mobile then.

Do I think its a short-sighted policy... I think we will see more and more go out to protect their network of dealerships against the internet invasion, do we really wish to see our local friendly dealer disappear off the street like the butchers, fishmongers and candlestick makers. I dont.

PS, the internet was great while it lasted, I loved the convenience of it, but times change, sometimes not as we would like to see it.

Something perhaps that the Stihl dealer network needs to understand. None of us can resist the force of change, it's adapt and survive or fall by the wayside. The convenience of the internet is in our lives everyday, whether you (and that is a general you, not specifically aimed at Andy) like it or not. To do something like Stihl has done is short sighted and unfortunately will damage their sales, I expect. Speaking personally, I have bought 2 machines recently, a brushcutter and a semi-pro saw for one of the guys on the team to do his 30/31 with. Whereas normally I would look at both Stihl and Husqvarna for the best machine/deal, now I just go straight to Husky. I still use the same dealer as before as the service I receive from them is excellent so I see no reason to change them. :001_smile: