New sawmill coming next month - need to sort out towing issues

Big J

Because of a few issues:

* Overall train length cannot exceed 18m. The choice of 7.5t vehicles that are less than 6.6m overall length is limited.

* Would need to sit C1+E licence - that is a week of lost earnings and about a £1000 for the course and test.

* Need O licence - several hundred pounds as I understand it

* Need MOT

* Need Tax

* Need regular VOSA inspections, as well as documented 12 weekly servicing (as I understand it)

* No 4WD, and the short wheel base of the Unimog is appealing.

* Potential to mount crane on Unimog to assist with sawmill loading when out on contract.

I did start with a Mercedes Vario 814d in mind, but the advantages of a Unimog started to stack up. I am open to any suggestion that gets me out on the road with my mill economically.

Ive not read all the pages so dont know if this has been suggested, but you could do what I did with my woodmizer....

I got hold of a 7.5t ex scaffold waggon with Hiab,(extra long and low) and mounted the mizer on the back (bolted down) The vehicle was then classed as "permenantly mounted machine" and didnt require an O.L or the usual stuff that goes with it (servicing etc and normal pre 97 DL) etc) and I had the Hiab to load the logs on to the saw with! Vosa did stop me once or twice but had to agree that it was in fact a machine.... I even had a oak stem on once and just said it was for a demo...... :thumbup1:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ive not read all the pages so dont know if this has been suggested, but you could do what I did with my woodmizer....

I got hold of a 7.5t ex scaffold waggon with Hiab,(extra long and low) and mounted the mizer on the back (bolted down) The vehicle was then classed as "permenantly mounted machine" and didnt require an O.L or the usual stuff that goes with it (servicing etc and normal pre 97 DL) etc) and I had the Hiab to load the logs on to the saw with! Vosa did stop me once or twice but had to agree that it was in fact a machine.... I even had a oak stem on once and just said it was for a demo...... :thumbup1:

That is not a bad suggestion at all! Thanks for that!

I am currently scrapping a very large mobile saw mill from the fifties, a forresian rack mill, built by William Reid of forres, its just over 30ft in length and 6 ft wide, runs a 50" inserted tooth sawblade, and tips the scales at a little over 2 tons, these were THE sawmill to have back in the daw, but now its no longer practical for use, its quite limited in the widths you can cut, but quick, and then some, and no wavy boards, but its got to go as it now needs a complete refurb and its woth mor as scrap

That is not a bad suggestion at all! Thanks for that!

Thank you kind sir.....

forgot to mention, I had to weld some brackets to the side of the wagon that would accept lift out "safety rails" (just 2nd hand padestrian barrier) to comply with H&S regs if I was going on a "big boys" site.....:001_rolleyes:

I will post some picks if I can dig any out...... The mizers been bolted to the floor for some time now as im more static milling...(should really think about a name change!)

I might of thought this through a little more before buying such a machine, perhaps this is why there are no big mobile saw mills!!!

Just sayin :001_smile:

Oh, trust me, it's been thought through extensively! The difficulties arise from the various options, the various legalities and the fact that the various legalities for the various options are as clear as mud!

Fundamentally I chose to buy a mill that is not the standard product here as I hate monopoly. Why should I pay nearly twice as much as for a mill that does the same job, but with hugely expensive and complicated maintenance needs?

Here is a picture of my mill in it's final test cutting red oak:

Logmaster_zps9453d7ec.jpg

Tell me that's not awesome! :001_cool:

Wot I tought:thumbup:

Or the bolted on 7.5 tonne scaffolding truck bed idea.

Erm.

Even better if bolted to a "tilt and slide" car recovery type body on an extended 5.2t/6.5t/7.5t chassis.

Leastwise then one would be working at the correct level, i.e. ground level.

Or on a dedicated "hook lift" body?

PS

I find I am better at spending other peoples money than my own:blushing:

But I do like to see things done "right"