New sawmill coming next month - need to sort out towing issues

Big J

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think that I am settled on getting a Unimog to tow it once I can afford it. I cannot risk towing it with the Navara as it's so much over length. I did have a long chat with a very good mate who's a policeman.

It also avoids the need to change axles, take the C1+E licence, get a tachograph, an operators licence, pay tax, get a vehicle through it's MOT, have extensive documented maintenance or use white diesel.

I will get one from Germany though, as there is a much bigger choice, and they are in far better condition for their price. I love the advert for this one - it's immaculate yet only described as being in 'Clean condition'! The Germans are very understated!

unimog 406 | eBay

Jonathan

I would argue that sawmilling on site is an extension of forestry. I would be prepared to argue that with any VOSA official.

Thanks for all the info - lots to read through!

I look forward to that test case :)

I keep thinking that agriculture (and processing of produce) have a fairly broad base to work from and we're either blessed or cursed with very little definition.

Farm shops/ veg box schemes/ online sales of sausages, pies, cider are ending up a long way from selling beasts or produce wholesale and unprocessed....

When does milling and timber work become manufacturing? especially if you've had chain of custody right through? It's another thread I suppose.

Hope they incl a good set of pedals:lol: for to assist with the somewhat limited HP there "J".

A very tidy looking:thumbup: truck though.

Visually the classic "Mog"

And yes I actually agree with your sensible analysis that bytimes one must simply trust ones instinctive feelings, assuming one has accumulated a few years of experience first.

Plus get some pleasure from ones choosen working method, even if it is not strictly the optimal one.

I should know:blushing:

Good luck,

Marcus

Ach, I don't mind a leisurely pace of driving to get to site! I like to think that the sight of a Unimog towing a massive sawmill gives young boys enough excitement to mitigate any road rage I might be at the receiving end of!

Not set on an old one, but just wanted to illustrate the condition you find them in in Germany. Type in Unimog into ebay.de, sort by price and enjoy!

Oh, indeed I used too, looking at Mogs an "G"Wagens, I even managed to unnerstan a bit o der written German at the hinder end.

But then I bought the scrapper of an MB Trac 1000 locally which well scratched my MB itch.

This seems to have been reasonably limited money well spent, as it has dissuaded me from buying any more unneeded items.

Ach, I don't mind a leisurely pace of driving to get to site! I like to think that the sight of a Unimog towing a massive sawmill gives young boys enough excitement to mitigate any road rage I might be at the receiving end of!

Not set on an old one, but just wanted to illustrate the condition you find them in in Germany. Type in Unimog into ebay.de, sort by price and enjoy!

Hi Jonathan probably telling you what you already know but there is no vat or import duty only German tax which was 20 per cent very straight forward we flew to Amsterdam hired car and drove into Germany done the deal and got it by low loader to ferry then back to rosyth then docs to Dundee for registration job done, all in it was cheaper than local tractor dealer could bring a tractor from Newcastle so he says!

• 2 weeks later...